IBS or Colon Cancer?

Hello. I am a 26 year old female with good health. But two and half months back I was having diarrhea for two weeks which was followed by loose stool for 1 week. The diarrhea was back again with loose, soft and sometimes watery stool and continued for 1 month with no sign of getting back to my normal bowel system. I was having cramps in my stomach and abdomen, sometimes felt very urgency to go to the toilet. Then I went to a gastroenterologist and he prescribed me some drugs. I also had my stool checked and they found pus cell I guess.  After taking the suggested drug my stools became completely watery for 4/5 days. After 2 weeks one morning I had normal, hard and formed stool in 2 months! Till now I am having a healthy diet with steam rice and vegetables and lightly cooked chicken/fish.

But the normal bowel movement lasted for exactly 15 days and then, morning diarrhea occurred, this time with uncomfortable feeling in my stomach area. So I went to a new gastroenterologist and he examined my belly and abdomen and said it was IBS.  He asked me to do stool and blood test (I had done these tests and will show him the reports soon).  The doctor gave me anti diarrhea drug but things got even worse after taking it! He also prescribed azithromycin (I hope I correctly spelt it).  It took another 10 days to have my normal bowel. For last 10 days I was having soft, semi hard and hard stool in the morning.  For last two days I felt like I was constipating and then today morning I again had very loose stool. I am sorry for this detail description but I am very scared and don’t want to go through the horrible tests (e.g colonoscopy). I do not have fever, weight loss, loss in appetite or any other thing. This time I don’t have any abdominal pain or cramping.  I am very scared if it was just not IBS but something more serious. Please help me!

Best Answer
It most likely is something like IBS and not colon cancer.  I would suggest getting a colonoscopy to make sure it isn't something bad, but if you really don't want to get one, then just make sure nothing is getting worse.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am willing to bet IBS.  Have the colonoscopy to ease your mind.  I had mine on Friday and it was a breeze.  Better to be safe and check then not check and be sorry!  In the meantime stop stressing which CAUSES IBS!
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much for your words! I think getting a colonoscopy is just not possible for me right at the moment! I'm just trying to maintain a healthy diet and observe my daily bowel movement. Finger crossed.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem