Gastroenterology Community

IBS or what????

I am 40 and facing digestive problems since last 8 years. It started with slightly raised biluribin levels and diagnosed as Hepatitis A. One horrible day, i felt bloated and I had trouble breathing and I panicked (heart pounding) and my fear game started from thereon. I felt extremely nauseatic and quite bad, and the doctors thought I had anxiety disorder coupled with Gilberts syndrome. I was put on Prozac and xanax with no medication for raised ALTs.
Contended that this is some mental problem, I didn't go to Gastro specialist. Despite taking the anti anxiety medicines, I felt nauseatic and my stomach is extremely sensitive. I mean alternating between constipation and loose stomach (which is more frequent). Whenever I have constipation, I develop a headache. Stools are sometimes hard and dark brown and sometimes light and mushy.
About 3 years back, I went to a gastro specialist, he diagonosed me with IBS and he said that anxious gut was my problem. He gave me levorpaid and NExum. I am taking these 2 medicines as well as anti anxiety medicines since then. However, symptoms keep on reappearing and more than medicines, probably I have reconciled with the fact that I will feel nauseatic, pain on my left side (docs call it pectoral muscle due to gas), bloatedness etc. I have got quite many blood and other lab examinations and there is no apparent physical abnormality.
Recently, my stool is combination of both dark brown and light brown and weird shaped.

So all in all, don't know where is the problem i.e. mind or gut. I am braving these symptoms and doing my high profile job with normal stresses. So my question is what to do so that I am contented that what is my actual problem???/
Thanx
I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering so much.  I am not a dr and don't know what your suffering from or why.  I am a nutritionist.  What's your diet like?  Are you eating right?  Lots of whole grains (like oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice,) beans (as in bean soups), and vegetables (steamed, stir-fried, grilled and in salads) and raw fruits ?  There is a book called, "What Would Jesus Eat" by Dr. Don Colbert.  If everyone would have eaten this way from the time they were born, there would be less than half the people posting here with digestive problems.  Here's some things you MIGHT consider.  Get a test done by a holistic dr called a Heidelberg Gastrogram (google this).  Try taking ginger for the nausea.  You can buy candied ginger in the health food store.  The ingredients should just be dried ginger and sugar.  You can also try ginger capsules.  You can try taking Activated Charcoal for the gas.  You may need to take 5 at a time to get relief.  It not only absorbs gas and odor, but it will sometimes absorb your meds too.  So if your on any, you might want to check with your dr first before taking this.  I know all too well how frustrating it is to have health problems that no one can figure out.  I went through that for years.  Then finally one day I prayed and said, "God, I know that there is someone out there that can help me.  You see this person right now.  You know their name.  Now I'm asking you to guide me to them.  And I know you will because you love me more than my earthly father does, and he would lead me to the answer if he had it."  I really believed this prayer when I prayed it.  And when I would feel anxious, I would pray it again.  Then I just kept thanking Him for the answer, knowing it was on the way.  And I waited.  Not long after I found my answer.  I was totally bed ridden for 5 years before that (from age 30 to 35).  So pray.  And good luck to you.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding of things.  But in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."  Proverbs 3:4-5    
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem