Gastroenterology Community

In need of help...

My son is 18 years old and has been having stomach problems for over a year now. He has a constant cough, bloating, he gets full real easy, constant diarrhea, stomach pain, tired all the time and some joint pain. He was a senior in high school but could not manage to finish due to his medical issues. He does not have any insurance and I am not working and would really appreciate any advice. I have taken him to the ER quite a few times and of course they just tell me to follow up with a specialist. Due to my financial situation I have been unable to follow up with any specialist. Last year our GP did send us to a specialist with a special voucher to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy done and everything turned out fine. He has been tested for thyroid problems due to the fact it runs in the family. He was also tested for HPylori which was also negative. They have given him GERD medication which does not work. I am just at my wits end with this. I am so tired of seeing him in pain and feeling bad all the time. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Was he tested for celiac? Cuz it sounds like that could be the problem. This isnt going to help finicially, because going gluten free isnt cheap, but I would suggest cutting out all gluten is something to try and see if it helps. Searh online for gluten free diet to find the list of what to cut out (its a lot). If this is the problem, him not eating gluten will show signs of improvement within weeks, most likely.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem