Gastroenterology Community

Intermittent Pain in Right Upper Ab Quadrant

Starting about 6 months ago, and only at night while sleeping or lying down, I have felt pain (more acute and sharp than dull and aching) in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen.  A few months ago I had injured myself while doing powerlifting movements in my gym.  So, I have thought that this may be a hernia or torn muscle.  However, it hasn't hurt me in the gym at all. Also, it only happens, as stated, while lying down (mostly noticed when I wake up in the middle of the night).  I would say that over the last 6 months, it may have occured 5-6 times at most.  

After being awake and up and moving, the pain dissipates. Though, if I probe up under my ribs or close to there, I do feel tenderness.  I have no pain while urinating or deficating, nor while passing gas.  No fever.  No nausea. No aches or other pains.  No loss of appetite.  No jaundice.  No lack of energy or fatigue.  

Just wondering what it could be. Any suggestions?  I am 35, male, caucasian.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem