Is it Cancer

I recently had an abdominal hysterectomy. During the surgery my doctor found a mass on my colon. He had the general surgeon look at it and he recommended a colonoscopy. It was also stated that I was not prepped for a colon resection.

I had my colonoscopy today and he said he found 2 polyps in the sigmoid colon and biopsy a thickened fold in the sigmoid colon. Also said I have Diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon.

Does anyone know what this means?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Polyp is usually a mushroom like mass growing from the colonic wall and bulging into the colon lumen. Histological examination will probably be made and then it will be said if polyps were cancerous or not.

In diverticulosis small pouches bulge out from the colonic wall. They by themselves are not harmful but may cause constipation and may get inflammed (diverticulitis).

So, it depends on your symptoms and on what exactly will be the result of  investigation of polyps.
Helpful - 0
what does it mean if the colonoscopy shows you have a thickened fold with mixed polyp with both hyperplastic as well as adenomatous changes
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem