Gastroenterology Community

Is it okay to try Zantac for Acid Reflux?

Back in November I went to an ENT because I was having throat aches. He put a tube down my throat and told me I had a bit of Acid Reflux. He put me on prevacid and I took it for a couple months, and while it got the job done for the most part I didn't like how it made me feel.

Today my dad bought me some Zantac 150 from the store. Is it okay if I try this for awhile? Are there any side effects? Is it even meant for Acid Reflux? It mostly talks heartburn Thanks!
Acid Reflux/Heartburn/GERD...all the same thing, or at least caused by the same thing.

Zantac is what's known as an H2 Blocker and used to be a prescription med.  It was introduced before Prevacid, Nexium, and the other PPI's.  

Definitely take it and see if it helps.  Augment it with chewable Maalox or Tums if you really need to.  And if Zantac doesn't work you could try Pepcid.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem