Lower left abdominal pain

Hi everyone,

I'm stumped. I have had localized pain/pinching in my lower left abdomen since early February 2011. It's constantly there but hurts more when sitting, and sudden movements hurt it too. The pain is accentuated when I am bloated or when gas moves by, so it seems to be related to colon pressure. Sometimes my left kidney/ribs are tender to the touch. I have a family history of endometriosis, diverticulitis, and colon cancer, but I'm only 31. I eat lots of fiber, drink plenty of water, and am in general good shape.

My symptoms are only this pain- my stools look normal, I don't have a fever, etc. The only catch is that this pain started the day I began to miscarry (the spotting)  :(  But my miscarriage happened in late February, and the pain hasn't changed. I don't know if it's related or not, my OB/GYN and general doctors think it's unrelated because my ultrasound scans show that everything reproductive is structurally normal.

I keep a food diary and there don't seem to be any triggers- it's just always hurting. Does anyone have recommendations or a similar experience? Is it unreasonable that I push for a colonoscopy?

Thanks a ton.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hmm. My pain has subsided since I started my period (first one since the m/c); do you think I should still get the colonoscopy? I suppose it wouldn't "hurt."
Helpful - 0
Please get that colonoscopy.  If colon cancer runs in your family you need to get a colonoscopy regardless of having any symptoms even if you are only 31.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem