Gastroenterology Community

My Gallstone Symptoms and Questions

I went to the Doctor because my stomach grew to look as if I was 5-6 months pregnant within like a months time. I am normally 120-130 pounds, and 5'1. I am now 150 and look about 6 months pregnant. My Doctor made a good call and ordered a sonogram. pelvic, abdominal. Well the results came back the very next day and I had to call the Doctors office four times to tell them the results were in, but they assumed the results could not be in yet and to wait until after the three day weekend. After calling the Image center and they said the results were delivered I finally got the Dr office to listen and sure enough they were in. The lady said there would be a Doc on the night shift and he could read the results if I came in.
He tells me I have Gallstones and there is nothing I can do but loose wait. He assumed I over eat and eat really bad food all the time. I am feeling very terrible, I have a hard big object under my breasts that feels like a baby, but is not. What ever is in my stomache is hard and not soft or flabby like normal stomaches. Then I have really bad sweats, pain in my back (burning), and lower back and right side. I have thrown up on numerous occasions but not all the time. I feel like **** and I can not talk to my Doctor until Thursday. I sent a email to my Doc office and I will call on Tuesday to ask some else to read the  results. Turns out the man the read my results is not a real Doctor. He is a Physician Assistant, so what is that ??? OMG, I did not know that until I just researched them online. I have been reading all of this information all day, and I don't think I should just diet. Oh and  before the sonogram my white cell count was off so the real Doc gave me another blood test, but we do not have the results yet. Does any one know about this stuff, after reading it sounds like I have a infection. I don't know, but I do know I am not feeling good at all. I have 6 kids and a husband, so you could imagine my life, and normally I have always been healthy. My dad had Gallstones though. If any one has any experience with this I would love some imput ???
Thank you,
momofmany
I'm so sorry you are suffering.  It's horrible that you have to wait but unfortunately, it happens a lot.  After you see your doctor on Thursday, hopefully he will refer you to a Gastroenterologist.  Don't forget to tell your doctor that your weight has increased dramatically over a short period of time!  If you can't wait, there's always the emergency room.

Hang in there!  

Sam
Thank you. I will make sure I tell him about my weight, and that I get a referral to a specialist. I figured there was more to it, then go home and diet.
Thank you much,
Shauna
Hi Shauna:

Please feel free to write or vent whenever you need.  Let me know how your appointment goes, if you get a chance?  In the interim, there's no shame in going to the hospital if it gets to be too much to handle or if your anxiety gets the best of you.  If you want to do some reading, let me know.  I have some links regarding gallstones, sphincter of oddi dysfunction and pancreatitis.  These might help you to understand how your digestive system works and what can be done to help you with the bloating, etc.  

Finally, Yahoo! groups are available to you, if you're interested.  Like MedHelp, there are never any fees.  The benefit of those particular groups is that everyone there has been in similar, if not exact, situation as you are now.  Go to Yahoo!.  On the left-hand-side of the page, select groups.  Search GROUPS for "sphincter", "pancreatitis" or "digestive".  There is brief description of each group and you can just choose which ones look interesting.  The groups with more members are generally more active.  It's kind of nice to have that level of support.  I belong to Digestive-Support-and-Information, Pancreatitis_sphincterofoddi and Sphincterofoddi_pancreatitis.

All the best,

Sam
yes, any information you have would be great. I did a search, but so many options come up, and it is always hard to know what to read exactly. I go to the Doctor tomorrow late in the afternoon, so I will let you know when I get a chance. I will go to the Yahoo groups and check it out. Thank you so much for your help and support.
Talk soon,
Shauna
Thank you so much. I joined
Pancreatitis_sphincterofoddi***@****
Wow, the owner sent me a message with mass information and a Library is available as well. This is great!
Thank you,
Shauna
Hi Shauna:

You should have more than enough information from the group.  Maddi has all of my links, so you can access them through the group.  There are others, as I mentioned, that have a bit more traffic so, if you're looking for a group who post every day, you may want to join a few others.

All the best,

Sam
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem