Nausea after eating

I'm 18 and have a problem with nausea after eating.  About two years ago I became a vegetarian but have only recently starting having problems.  In addition, I am tired all the time, have bad headaches, and when I work out I have shortness of breath.  My doctor thought I had exercise induced asthma and prescribed an inhaler, but it doesn't seem to help. And now I am having stomach pains.  Since I have no health insurance I can't go in to a doctor and have a lot of tests run and not get a diagnosis.  Can you tell me what I could possibly have wrong so I can narrow down any tests needed?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes, I am a vegetarian.  When I said "chicken nuggets" its the vegetarian style, made by Morning Star.  It's mainly soy but made to taste and look like chicken.  Thank you for all your help.  I will make an appointment to get the blood test.
Helpful - 0
You don't need to go to the hospital to have tests I've mentioned. It's one time blood drawing and they can run all tests from one blood sample. Doctor may propose some additional test but I guess nothing big. Be sure to write down all your symptoms . When it all started, exact relation between food and onset of symptoms, and a detailed list of all symptoms.Does burping appear in minutes or only several hours after the meal..?

Headache and lightheadedness may arise from (among other) low glucose, low iron or low vitamin B12. This often happens in vegetarians. Low glucose could be simply from not eating enough or not getting enough calories. Bread, pasta, rice, cookies and such are caloric foods. You should avoid sugary foods because they may worsen burping and flatulence. If you have iron or B12 deficiency it's not likely you can correct this in short time just with foods, so you'd need to take supplements.  

So, right now you are not on vegetarian food (chicken nuggets)?

If you're prepared for one 4 day elimination diet trial, you can try it, but what are you prepared to eat (or not) rigt now?
Helpful - 0
I have a lot of burping, dizzyness, and I feel sick before I eat and I thought at first it was because I was hungry, but I feel nauseaus after I eat to, so I almost feel like I don't want to eat.  It's my middle stomach I guess where it hurts. And my head. Sometimes my heart feels like its racing too, but not all the time.  I work out at a gym and I was told to use my inhaler before and after exercising, but it doesn't seem to help, and I drink a lot of water.  Don't like sodas, and eat the Morning Star brand chicken nuggets, bocca burgers, steak starters, cheese and beans, plus all kinds of veggies.  My mom thinks I need more protein, like to eat chicken or something, but I don't think that's the problem.  The tests you recommend are they really involved and do I need to be hospitalized for them?  Sorry, I don't know more.  Mom said I should go to Childrens Hospital and have them run some tests because they will work with me on payments, but I'm starting college this fall and money is tight.  Thanks for the info
Helpful - 0
"Only" nausea? Any burping, heartburn, stomach burning, changed bowel habits or stool color? Faintness, pale skin, tingling or numb arms?

When (after eating, at night...) and where (upper middle stomach, lower stomach...) stomach pains appear?

Common deficiences in vegetarians are:
- iron deficiency
- vitamin B12 deficiency
- hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)

I'd recommend blood test for iron, vitamin B (vit B1, B6, B12), glucose and main minerals: K, Ca, Na, P, Mg.

Two other causes of tiredness and other symptoms could be low calorie intake and dehydration.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem