Gastroenterology Community

Nausea during workout after gall bladder surgery

I have been a fitness instructor for years.  I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago.  When I returned to teaching about a month after my surgery, occasionally I would get what felt like spasms or almost hiccups deep in my gut, and it usually wouldn't stop without throwing up.  It didn't always happen, which was really strange and frustrating.  I thought maybe I had just returned to teaching too soon.  Priorities changed my schedule anyway and I quit teaching for a few years.  I have continued to workout though, and still I have these infrequent bouts of nausea and vomiting while I'm working out.  This never happened before my gall bladder surgery.  My workouts are pretty intense, but the intensity doesn't seem to necessarily always bring on the nausea.  When I start feeling sick, I'll feel some real tenderness if I push deep into my navel area.  Sometimes it almost sounds like a little "pop" and feels as though gas is getting blocked or something.  Sometimes I can work it out by massaging and seeming to somehow push the gas further down my intestines.  But other times, I will vomit intensely, usually just dry heaves because I know not to eat a lot prior to a workout.  Once I vomit, I'm fine and can go right on with my workiout.  Wish I could teach again, but this situation is so unpredictable, I can't teach.  Any ideas?
There are so many different things that can happen after cholecystectomy.  I haven't heard about this specific issue but you probably want to speak with your doctor about it.  If it's something you can live with, great.  I know less than NOTHING aobut this stuff but could it be that you have a clamp or stent or something left in there that is obvious whenever you exercise strenuously?

Here are a couple of generic things that I've found helpful.  

Research!  Read old posts in this forum.  There is a fantastic research resource that I've found very helpful called "The First Principles of Gastroenterology": http***gastroresource.com/GITextbook/en/Default.htm.  

Log!  Keep a journal.  It helps identify patterns in your symptoms, foods, medications and pain level.  You're welcome to read mine but I write a lot (can you tell?).  :)  http***www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/12546?personal_page_id=8912

Reach Out!  You are not alone!  Try to stay positive.  

When you do find answers,please post to let everyone know what you found and how you got rid of your symptoms.  It gives people on this site hope to hear success stories.

All the best to you and yours,

Sam
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem