Gastroenterology Community

Nervous about bowel pain/problems

I am afraid.  I want to know just how proactive I will need to be in the near future.

Our health insurance was recently changed & we are in the process of starting a new policy on December first.  Until that time, I can't afford to do any more than absolutely necessary with doctor visits and tests.  I just spent $1000 more than I had for a procedure last week.  For any who are willing to read this, bare with me... I will relate the basics of my health problems & concerns.

Mar 06 - Had a child.  Between then and Nov 07 I gained about 40 lbs slowly

Nov 07 - Health began to get bad, various things - nerve pain down my back and leg at top of list.
Feb/Mar 08 - Concentrated on nerve problems, saw neurologist, just knew I felt really bad, had MRI's, doctors were (and are) considering MS - however, not enough clinical evidence to diagnose

July 08 - Abdominal & pelvic pains suddenly got worse.  I had abdominal adhesions twisting my bowels & kidney in 2002, so this concerned me.  Doctors just sent me to more doctors at this point.  Also began having yellow stool & diarrhea.

August 08 - ER because pelvic/abdominal pain suddenly got worse - they found fibroid on my uterus  ER doctors ignored the yellow stool.

Sept 08 - Saw OB/GYN, she was concerned about yellow stool, had CT scan done.  They found a cyst in my spleen (surgeon said not to be concerned).  She scheduled a D&C to remove fibroid.  Surgeon who I saw about spleen said to see a GI doctor, gave referral.  (yellow & gray looking diarrhea continued)

Oct 08 - Had D&C - doctor found polyp in uterus (said this is to blame for many of pains in pelvis), removed & sent for biopsy. I am awaiting results.

The D&C was October 29.  From then (when I took fleet and cleaned myself out then had surgery) until yesterday, November 2 I had not had a bowel movement.  I had a severe amount of gas pain for several days & no movement.  Finally yesterday I moved....... long, pencil thin (but brown for a change).  Looked like a tiny snake...

So, here I am terrified out of my wits wondering if I have colon cancer or something... and not able to afford to have the colonoscopy they want me to get scheduled (ASAP per the surgeon).......... I'm trying to postpone until I have the new insurance in place Dec 1.

So for any here who are knowledgeable, should I say hell with the insurance and get it scheduled or is a few weeks really going to make that much of a difference.

Thanks,
Amy

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem