Gastroenterology Community

Nortriptyline medication

My GI doctor has prescribed Nortriptyline, 10 mg daily, for what he thinks is IBS.  I have not taken this before and wonder if anyone has used this?  I am always concerned about side effects.  My PCP also said it might be worth a try.  I am still nauseated most of the time with bad stomach aches and bloating.  They both know the meds I take.  I have been on low dose Alprazolam for over 4 years at a dose of .05 mg 3 x a day.  Most of the time I take half a tab in the morning and may or may not take the other half or a whole one during the day.
I went to Drugs.com to check for interactions with the other meds I take on and off which are generic Zofran, generic Levsin, Omeprazole and they all showed moderate side effect possibilities.  Now, I am afraid to start it.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
I did take low dose Prozac years ago but when I was given Reglan, I reacted with agitation and tremors and my doc took me off both.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem