Gastroenterology Community

Orange Oily Discharge From Rectum???

How weird is this??  I am hoping someone will be able to help me.  Very recently i started to have oily orange discharge from the anus. Not associated with diarrhea or bowel movement of any kind.  I also have pain in the middle under my rib cage that extends to the sides...not nausea, but pain!!  Food doesn't seem to play a role. And i seem to have more gas when it occurs. There is sometimes no controlling the discharge...it just seems to leak out with no warning.
Is there anyone that can relate???
You need to go to the doctor.  You could have any number of things going on - bowel diseases (ulcerative colitis, Crohn
Thanks for your comment...went to the docs...she said the same thing!  Now i wait for results from bloodwork and make appointments for further testing.  Thanks again for your help!
I too have this Orange Oily substance, I had my Gall bladder removed and right after my stomach Balooned up and I look pregnant(Im a man) When I walk It pours out etc when I work it comes out, Just had a Ultrasound done and waiting for results, Im wondering if the surgeon cut my bile tube by accident, I went back to my surgeon 3 months after my surgery and told him I have bile pouring out of me he said no you dont have a bile problem My doctor put me on Cholestyramine and it helped for a bit but its getting really bad...
Are you currently taking anything? I only ask because i was taking a diet pill at one stage that had a drug in it that caused my body to purge excess fat and oil out. I had to be taken off the pill because like you stated above i couldnt control it, and it persisted even after i stopped for a few months before finishing. The gas was intense to the point where i would pass gas and it would cause the purging to come on. Good luck with your results!
This could be caused by pancreatic enzyme deficiencies in the small intestine.  If it cannot be linked to eating high oil content fish (i.e. escolar, rudderfish, oilfish or orange roughy) excessively fatty/oily meals, foods containing Olean or Olestra, taking Alli or other similar diet pills, and the condition persists more than three to four days, you should probably see a doctor for bloodwork.  Also see below (an old answer regarding oil bowel movements):

Kevin Pho, MD  
Male
Boston - MA
Member since Feb 2003  

, Dec 24, 2003 12:00AM
Oily or floating stools (steatorrhea) suggests malabsorption or chronic pancreatitis.  I would suggest tests to look for this.

For chronic pancreatitis, one can obtain a plain abdominal film to look for any calcifications.  Serum amylase and lipase levels can also be obtained.  If this is the case, pancreatic enzyme supplementation (using medication) is indicated.

For malabsorption, it would be a good idea to send the stool off for analysis.  A fecal fat test can be done to evaluate for fat malabsorption.  You can also test for celiac disease via a blood test.

You may want to discuss these possibilities with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Take care,

Kevin, M.D.

i just wanted to inform you all of the information i have discovered recently. i had this happen and was very worried because i hadnt eatin anything differently and wasnt feeling bad at all, after some research and thinking back on what i had done differently, i looked into the diet pill i had only taken couple of times around this occurance which led me to find, if you take certain diet pills, example: such as alli, it causes this orange oily "mess" because your body cant take the fat intake if over a certain amount. also in further research there are other answers and possibilities.. but this was my answer- hope it helps. its amazing what you can find on google.:)
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem