Gastroenterology Community

Pain and illness after gallbladder surgery

I had my gallbladder removed over 2 years ago, I had been having pain on and off for over a year until it became so bad i could not even drink water without throwing up, and had gained about 20 pounds within 3 months without hardly eating, at the time of the gallbladder removal it had thickened, hardened, and was functioning at 0% 9 (after removal they found several stones stuck in the ducts).  I had pancreatitis immediately following, or perhaps it started prior to surgery and just continued.  My sugreon kept saying it takes a while to heal so give it a year, however, i still get the pain in my sides, they seem to come on without warning and have not been able to pinpoint any special thing that sets it off, i was told i probably have that disease now that happens to some people after gallbladder removal where their body just does not recover and that there is not much that can be done, to watch my diet and that it won't get worse, Now, last Thursday I went to lunch with my 8 and 10 year old daughters and I was feeling fine, without any warning, I began sweating, turnder bright red, got horrible pain in my right side around the area of the gallbladder (or where it used to be), my stomach bloated, I got nauscious, dizzy, and I almost passed out.  I could not even breath it felt so bad.  The worst ever, my kids were very scared, but I just tried to wait it out, it took about 45 minutes and then just as quick it stopped (however, it took several days to feel completely up and energetic again)... The symptoms are coming more frequent and more painful and yet my doctor says there is nothing they can do and just 'watch my diet'.... I have now gained another 10 pounds in just 3 weeks, without changing my eating habits at all, have a constant very bloated stomach, extremely constipated all the time and am almost always in some amount of pain on my side.  It does seem now when I eat meat it makes it worse (I don't eat fatty meat, this afternoon i had a chicken breast which triggered a stabbing pain which has been going on for about 4 hours......... Any suggestions?    
Did you actually flush red - face and chest area? And if so, has that been happening a lot? If that's what's going on, please see your doctor and tell him/her specifically that you've been flushing. Flushing can be a specific symptom of a very specific problem that needs to be followed up on.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem