Gastroenterology Community

Pain on right side under rib cage?!!

A few weeks ago I began having some minor discomfort on my right side, under the rib cage. About a week ago, I experienced a lot of pain in that same area extending around to the right side of my lower back.  That episode passed, but since then, I have had a constant burning, throbbing-type feeling under the right side of my rib cage. I have had some heartburn and mild nausea at times too. I know I need to make an appointment with my MD, but was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else. I have talked with a few people who have had problems with their gallbladders and consequently had to had it removed. They, however, said they were in tremendous pain with nausea and vomiting and even touching the area near & around the gallbladder caused extreme pain. I was just wondering if my situation sounds like a gallbladder issue even though the symptoms are mild at this time. I have tried to pay attention to when the symptoms are worse, but can't really pinpoint anything, not even after meals.  Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
It could still be your gallbladder - but acalculous disease rather than the gallstones that cause those horrible attacks of which your friends speak.  See a gastroenterologist for a HIDA scan to evaluate this problem.  It could also be a problem with the bile duct, pancreatic duct, or the various tiny sphincters that control delivery of bile and pancreatic enzymes to the small intestine.  The gastro doc can check those out as well.  And yes, it's time to go get it checked out.  :-)
do you drink alchole and do you have trouble with acid reflux?
I woke up in the middle of the night in discomfort due to pain under my rib cage  felt like a burning like acid reflux instead, of comming up went in to my liver any way it still bothers me some  time. I'm curious if you have the same symptons
   Mnm
      I have the same pain. I've had all the tests including the HIDA scan. They have found that I have gallbladder disease. I have an appointment with a surgeon. That type of pain whether it's severe or mild is very common when a gallbladder disease progresses. For some it goes away and comes back, for me it's going on 24 hours plus. The rest of your symptoms also point to gallbladder. Get it checked.
I have pain under my right breast to the side. It comes and goes especially when I sit up for a while. I am a dibete so I wonder did it have anything to do with the pain.
Reading your letter is like I wrote it.  I'm having the same identical problems right now. I go this friday for ultra sound on my gallbladder to check for stones. I'm not in severe pain, but a dull annoying steady pain, this has been going on for several weeks now and yesterday, I started to have pain in my back which hurts pretty bad.  Did you ever find out what the problem was?
pain at  rib cage on right side even two years after gallbladder removal.hurts to touch
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem