Painful Colonoscopy

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and was in pain almost the entire time, and then was told I would need to have a barium enema done as the colonoscopy was incomplete.  My question is how often does this happen and should I continue with the enema?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just had my second colonoscopy on Tues after a colonoscopy one year ago.  The first one was stopped because of a tortuous colon. I thought I was having a bad painful dream when in reality I must have woken up at one point as the Dr was trying to maneuver the scope through the twisted part of my colon.  I was given the option of the enema(which I had years ago)or another colonoscopy with deeper sedation.  I chose the colonoscopy.  I was given "Propo...something", can't remember exact name.  I never felt a thing and woke to hear the nurse say they got all the way through.  Did the Dr say why the procedure was incomplete?  Colonoscopies are a better way of seeing the colon than a barium enema, I have heard.  I apologize if this post comes up twice.  I hit something trying to register and it seemed to delete my first post.  Tell us more, I am curious as I just went through this whole ordeal and an upper endo as well.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem