Gastroenterology Community

Pancreatic Insufficiency from Hyperlipidemia and Hyperparathryoidism?

Hi, I've been having lots of IBS like symptoms for the last 6 months.  (Nausea, bloating, belching, constipation/diarrhea, clay colored stools, and floating stools).  Some other symptoms that are seemingly unrelated are widespread tendonitis, daily headaches, and fatigue).  The most bothersome symptom is the fatigue.  I've had lots of tests, and the gallbladder was removed in Feb, but it didn't help.  The tests were extensive blood work, endoscopy, colonoscopy, and ct scan of abdomen.  The only thing that has shown up is an ulcer in the ileum, low vitamin d, and low testosterone.  The testosterone was rechecked after a week of vitamin supplements (particularly vitamin d - 1400mg day), and it came back normal.  I've read that low T can be related to low vitamin d.  Is this correct?

Anyway, my primary question is this, could there be pancreatic insufficiency problems causing malabsorption of nutrients such as vitamin d that is causing the fatigue?  I have high cholesterol and I had hyperparathyroidism for over 9 yrs.  The hyperparathyroidism was corrected a little over a year ago.  Could the high cholesterol and long term high calcium from the hyperthyroidism cause pancreas problems?  My GI is checking my prealbumin and taking a stool sample to see if there is some malnutrition/malabsorption going on.  Are there any other tests that would help with this?

Thx!
Hyperlipidemia and hyperparathyroidism can cause Chronic Pancreatitis and CP can cause malabsorbtion, diarrheah etc.  

Tests for pancreatitis include:

Fecal fat test
Serum amylase
Serum lipase
Serum trypsinogen

Inflammation or calcium deposits of the pancreas may be seen on:
Abdominal CT scan
Abdominal ultrasound
ERCP
EUS

I would suggest an EUS at a center that specializes in pancreas issues.  SC, IN, and MN have wonderful doctors that specialize in pancreas issues.
Cool, thx for the info Michell!  Excellent advice!

Jimmy
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem