Gastroenterology Community

Pancreatitis, Non-Alcoholic Cirrhosis and Type II Diabets

F-48, overweight most of my and developed Type II Diabetes in 1999. That same year an internist noted that I had "fatty liver". Last year, I came down with incredible pain, lost my appetite completely, had nausea and absolutely no energy. In July of 2008, my gastroenterologist did a test for gastroparesis and the test came back negative. Then the doctor ordered a liver biopsy and it was determined that I had the early stage of non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, With the help of GERD pills, and pain meds the pain subsided a few  months after wards. I was still trying hard to bring down my A1C (9.5) and control what I ate and my blood sugar but I was fighting a losing battle. Yes, I love sweet things, no I was not exercising, I also fight major depression with Bipolar so it makes things even worse.

I give you all this background because in August of this year, I developed pancreatitis. Pain I had NEVER known! I went around for almost 2 months going from doctor to doctor (including my own gastroenterologist) and all blamed it on acid reflux. I kept putting my foot down because I know what acid reflux feels like and this pain was not indicative of acid reflux. Finally, I was referred to a gastroenterologist who was famous in the Dallas area for performing successful ERCPs. This doctor whisked me away to the endoscopy room for day surgery, found all the ducts leading in and out of the pancreas had high pressure levels, He cut the sphincter of Oddi as well as inserted a stent into another duct.

Well it is almost a month later and I still have that extreme pain however it does not continue day after day (I guess this is what you would say is going from chronic to acute). A week and half later the stent fell out and I could feel a change in the pain in my liver. This was confirmed by a colonoscopy and endoscopy last week. The blood work that was done the day before showed elevation in all the enzymes that are related to the pancreas. My gastroenterologist said that my colon was irritated, but that it would not be treated at this time. She also noticed that my stomach as well as the bottom of my stomach was engorged with blood so she has put me on a medicine to control the blood pressure through the varices in my stomach. I was informed, lastly, that I would not have to go for another colonoscopy for another 3 years.

All this to ask: 1) Is it me, or did I miss an answer regarding my chronic pancreatitis? 2) my doctor gave a basic more fiber, way less salt, practically no butter and absolutely only skim milk and no other dairy products and of course hurry up and get those sugars straightened out! I am trying (a typical blood glucose count for me is in the low 200's). Is this diet what the doctor's can offer me to fend off the pain?
3) What do you think of providing a low number of a pain killer such as Darvocet in case the Trammadol does not work? I am not a pill popper by any means, but I have to admit when I am in pain from this I need help immediately!

Is there anything that I can read or study on pancreatitis that you would recommend? Also, I have come to a conclusion that the cirrhosis of the liver (even though I don't drink), the pancreatitis (I don't speak of a gall bladder, because it was removed in the early 1990's when I was in my late 20's) and all these other digestive issues are caused because of my diet, lack of exercise and my obesity. It has to be hard on my body with all these problems. But my question really is: can cirrhosis and pancreatitis be caused by non-compliant blood sugar levels?

Thank you for your time. I would appreciate any response that you all might have.

Kim
Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas why helps regulate the way your body processes glucose (sugar).  Left untreated it can LEAD to diabetes. Cirrhosis of the liver has many causes with two being diabetes and obesity. Chronic pancreatitis needs treatment. There are medications to help lower your sugar, but your doctors must have a reason for not giving these to you. I don't know what their thinking is.  For your diet, remember that it isn't just the sweets that raise you sugar, it is carbohydrates in general.  You need to avoid white bread, white potatoes, etc.  Check the labels on everything before you even buy it, to see how many carbohydrates are in it.  You'll be amazed at how many foods that are not "sweet" are high in carbohydrates.  Also, while doing this start exercising, even if just walking.  Between the two you will see a big decrease in your blood sugar and weight.  I do think you need to sit down with your doctor and ask what the plan is?  Why are they not giving you any medication to treat the inflammation, and why can you cannot get pain medication that will work?  YOU need to know where they are going with all this, so you can better understand their thoughts, and know what to expect.  So in essence, the pancreatitis caused the diabetes which lead to your liver problem.  I don't think pain medicine is the answer, I believe you need treatment for inflammation, and work hard on getting your sugar down.  I know this is hard, my husband is an insulin dependent diabetic, but now thru eating correctly he may be getting of insulin.  It took him years to accept how big a role diet plays in diabetes, he learned the hard way.  Best of luck to you!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem