Gastroenterology Community

Pancreatitis

5/12/09 i was rushed to the ER after about 4 an hour of the worse pain imaginable, i had this same attack 3 other times, same symptons  vomitting severe pain in my abdomain all the way to my back we have to great hospital here but each time they would say you pulled some thing give a couple shots and perscriptions
this last time i went buy ambulance i was so out of it they just took me to the other one i got in the they got the info of what was happening ran a x ray drew blood and then did a cat scan found my galbladder was so full of stones it had clogged me pancreas that i had sever  Pancreatitis they took me in put stints in.  i got out of icu on the 19th home  the 20th. now they didnt remove the galbladder yet the dr wants me to heal up so my question is how long is a normal hospital stay for gallbladder surgery and how long does it take to recover after
Wow. First of all, I'm sorry to hear the people at the ERs you went to those first few times were idiots. Seriously, someone comes in with abdominal type pain one of the first thing they have to consider is gallbladder/pancreatic issues that may not show up in the bloodwork. An ultrasound of the are should have been nothing short of mandatory. Their carelessness could have cost you your life.

As for GB surgery, depends on whether it's laproscopic or open. If the first, then hospital stay is about a day, with an initial healing time of about a week. (Total healing time about 6 weeks.) If open, then the hospital stay is a few days, with a total healing time of at least 6 weeks, since they not only cut the organ, they also have to cut through your abdominal muscles.

In the meantime, avoid ALL fats. All. Eat a very simple, very bland diet, and do everything possible to get yourself into surgery as soon as you can.

Good luck.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem