Gastroenterology Community

Please Help, Chronic Bleeding, Trouble Breathing!!!!

Thanks very much for your help!  Please help me I've been having bleeding for over 10 years with bowel movements and had a colonoscopy but the GI said I don't have Crohn's/UC and have hemmarhoids/GERD.  I've used HC 25mg suppositories but I keep bleeding every month or two (bright or sometimes darker red blood) and have trouble breathing, relaxing which improves after prednisone/HC.
what disease have you been diagnosed with that calls for the prednisone? Do you know the side effects of that medication?

Side effects from prednisone can include increased thirst and urination, increased appetite and weight gain, dull, dry haircoat, increased panting, vomiting, diarrhea, elevated liver enzymes, pancreatitis, muscle wasting and behavior changes ( depression, lethargy).
Source: www.cloudnet.com
Prednisone mainly acts to speed up the aging process of the body. Hence, hardening of the arteries will accelerate, cholesterol is higher, osteoporosis is faster and more severe, the blood sugar is higher, cataracts form, muscles atrophy and lose strength, fat forms around the abdomen, the legs thin, and the skin thins. In general, think of any aging effect that you see on any organ and prednisone will accelerate this effect. Prednisone
I'm trying to figure out how a doctor weighs the pro's and con's of this medication. before anyone responds, please read the side effects thoroughly and then try to explain how that would help anyone!
please be so kind as to tell what other meds you are taking and what you have been diagnosed with. the more info you give the better advise you'll get.
I have asthma and use symbicort/proventil and singulair- I have trouble breathing and relaxing sometimes
what preservative/foods could I have allergies to?
that is a very good question. you would have to figure that one out by doing a process of elimination diet. Start with dairy products if you like and do not eat them for several weeks. then if that doesnt do it, move to something else. or if there is something that you eat or drink with just about every meal, try eliminating that. i've read they have an in home blood test for food intolorence that is practiced in the UK but i dont think the state have it. you can google it though. if it is a common perservative then you will have to eat organic foods and stay away from fast foods and caned foods.
just google( can food intolorence cause breathing problems) you will learn more about it. i hope this helps you.
which blood tests/allergy tests can I have done please?
does HC also have the same aging and negative effects on organs and the body?  I feel like I should continue for the HC suppositories for another day even though I've been on HC/prednisone for about 22 days now since I'm still bleeding a lot
I used to have a milk allergy when I was young but I thought I outgrew it
Can I have Crohn's disease even with negative colonoscopy?  I am still having the breathing/relaxing problems that gets better with 5mg of prednisone
sometimes after using the HC suppository I feel irritation and pain- what could be causing the breathing problems?  I use the inhalers every day and don't smoke
I'm going to respond to the prednisone question quoting from wikipedia.  Prenisone is often used in treating life-treatening diseases:

Prednisone can be used in autoimmune diseases, inflammatory diseases (such as severe asthma, severe allergies, juvenile dermatomyositis, angioedema episodes, severe urushiol-induced contact dermatitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, Still's disease, Bell's palsy, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, Crohn's disease, pemphigus and sarcoidosis), uveitis, various kidney diseases including nephrotic syndrome, and to prevent and treat rejection in organ transplantation. It can also be used to treat autoimmune pancreatitis.

Prednisone is used as an antitumor drug. Prednisone is very important in the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Non-Hodgkin lymphomas, Hodgkin's lymphoma, multiple myeloma and other hormone-sensitive tumors, in combination with other anticancer drugs.

Intravenous application may be employed for cerebral inflammation, as in the periodic attacks caused by multiple sclerosis.

Prednisone is also used for the treatment of the Herxheimer reaction, which is common during the treatment of syphilis, and to delay the onset of symptoms of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

Yes it has a lot of side effects, but it has also saves many many lives.
thanks very much
prednisone helps me relax and breathe better- but could I have Crohn's with negative endoscopy and colonoscopy?  I've had cramping before
There is a very very small chance of having Crohn's with negative scopes, but this would be very rare.  Did they take biopsies?  If you don't have a confirmed diagnosis of crohn's, I would recommend going off the prednisone.
thanks a lot- yeah I've been on the HC and then prednisone for 25 days now- I still have bleeding I think from the hemmarhoids
I don't know I have sleep apnea and have no energy during the day, always falling asleep can't work long
From my understanding ill 3632 said that the GI doc confirmed no chrones. All they found was Gerd Hemmeroids and asthma.@ill is your asthma extreme or life threatning?
maybe u should go get another opinion.
Yes, but sometimes the doctors don't take biopsies and then crohn's can be easily missed.
the first colonoscopy I had I had polyps removed some of which were neurofibromas
But did they take general biopsies?
I don't remember- the GI said something about testing for H pylori so I think they may have
I would recommend asking your doctor if they took general biopsies of the intestine to specifically look for crohn's disease.  What doctor perscribed you the prednisone?
the pulmonologist did for 1 month after I took the HC at 25-50mg a day for 10 days
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem