Gastroenterology Community

Please share your experience with pinworms.

Picture of Pinworms Life Cycle    Pinworm (Enterobius vermicularis) infections are the most common worm infection in America.Although any individual may develop a case of pinworms, the infection occurs most frequently in school children between 5 to 10 years of age.Pinworm infections occur in all socioeconomic groups; however, human-to-human spread is favored by close, crowded living conditions. Spread among family members is common.Animals do not harbor pinworms - humans are the only natural host for this parasite.The most common symptom of pinworms is an itchy rectal area. Symptoms are worse at night when the female worms are most active and crawl out of the anus to deposit their eggs.Although pinworm infections can be annoying, they rarely cause serious health problems and are usually not dangerous.Therapy with routine prescription medications provides an effective cure in almost all cases.
It is not true that only humans get pinworms. Goats also get them. They are called thread worms in a goat, but seem to be the same exact thing, look the same; same life cycle. I have been trying to find out if goats can give them to humans and vice versa.
actually have a question . is there otc med available?
why do i find on other websites that pinworms DO occur in cats, yet you Explicitly say they DO NOT occur in animals??  Which is correct?
I need name of medicine
Who scratches their butthole with their bare fingers?
I am itching my anus.........
All medication taken three times have not been effective
My daughter has had pinworms three times in seven months; once again we go through the process one more time. The first two times were awful, especially at night. We found that letting her soak in baking soda and water for a while helps with the itching. We also we used pentane cream for babies and that seemed to help her while she slept. We also gave her a Gravol to help her get some sleep. We got her treatment but you also need a treatment two weeks after the first treatment. The second treatment is very important. I hate the worms so much, I am cleaning off everything. I hope my story helps others.
Pinworms can and frequently do cause abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, depletion of vitamins and minerals, anxiety, and depression (because it's so difficult to get rid of pinworms and re-infection is so common). Adults with pinworms are advised not to have sex, as pinworms are readily spread via sexual activity and adults/children are advised not to even stay at other people's houses overnight or have overnight guests, because pinworm eggs are as small and light as dust particles and spread everywhere - floors, beds, furniture, walls, counter tops, light switches, toilet seats, clothing, etc.
I am a dentist. For the last 1 weak m feeling that something is moving in my anus. I feel they are pinworms.
When my young daughters got pinworms, we went to the doctor and were prescribed a medicine which quickly resolved the issue. After they got it several times, I was baffled. We had a dog and I asked the doctor if this could be the source. His reply: after humans the being that most likely gets pinworms is the horse. Eureka! My oldest had a friend whose mother worked at a horse farm. My girl said that she often noticed horse manure on the mother's coat! Hand cleanliness is paramount! All fixed!
My husband complained about an itchy anus. About a month plus later, I began to experience the same unbelievable itchiness. Anti-itch medication helps with pinworms, as does coconut oil. Change your underwear 2 times a day. Try and have a shower every morning. Change your sheets and towels every other day. These creatures did not show up in stool samples, I am old and not so flexible so trying to see them was near impossible. You can feel them and they itch! Cleanliness is imperative so wash your hands after everything!
I was diagnosed with pinworms in August. I ended up having them in my sinuses, and my eyes. Seems like I've had these for a few months without knowing; and touching all surfaces not knowing there are microscopic larvae all over the surfaces I touch. And they can live on these surfaces for up to 2 weeks. I am worried about my cats and dogs who I pet all the time! I know they can't get the worms in their gastrointestinal tract like humans, but wondering if the ova or larvae live on top of their fur.
Having read that sex should be avoided if you have pinworms, I am trying to find out exactly for how long sex needs to be avoided. I have scoured the internet for this answer but can't find it anywhere. Is indefinite abstinence required! When can we get busy again! We have taken the second dose and have a strict hygiene regime.
I felt a tickle, no itching. I checked and I have white skinny pinworms in my anus and vagina. Now they are coming through my skin in my legs and thighs. I am so freaked out!
I just saw a lot of thin, string like pinworms from my daughter's (4 years old) anus, as she was crying with discomfort. I am looking for any home remedy that I can use now, till I can get to the pharmacy tomorrow morning, as it is 11.45 pm now.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem