Gastroenterology Community

Poop Issues

I have been having a few digestive issues over the last few months. Either diarrhea (especially on days of travelling - I think it may be related to nerves?) or constipation. Mostly diarrhea until the last two months or so. I've been to the doctor's twice (two different doctors) over the last eight months or so, both who suggested IBS. The first time I sent a poop sample and it came back negative. The second time (about a week ago), she had a quick poke up my bum with her finger, said she couldn't see anything blocking me up. They took a blood sample, which I am awaiting the results on.

Right now, my issue is this: about two weeks ago I felt anal pressure, like the CONSTANT feeling of needing to go but nothing happening. Sometimes I'd strain and a few small (very small) pieces would come out. Normal consistency and colour, just not shape or size. I ordered a fibre supplement over a week ago (benefibre) and have been taking it once a day to ease it into my routine. It helped the pressure, I no longer feel a constant urge. However I am still struggling a little to poop in the mornings (the time of day, between 15 mins and 1.5 hours after waking, that I feel the urge to go most). Sometimes I go to the bathroom thinking I need to poop but nothing happens. This may happen once or twice. Then half an hour later I'll have a semi normal bowel movement. Sometimes the poop comes out in small sections again. I've just upped the fibre intake from one teaspoon to two a day.

Any ideas?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include dietary causes, infections, inflammations, GI motility issues, hormonal/ endocrine abnormalities, malabsorption syndromes, IBS, micronutrient deficiencies, growths/ masses etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem