Aa
A
A
A
Close
Gastroenterology Community
31.5k Members

Prominent pancreatic duct

I have been having intermittent pain in my right chest/breast area that often goes thru to my back, behind right shoulder blade. I also get epigastric discomfort, at times a gnawing hunger like pain. Going on for a year or so. Occasional nausea, no vomiting. Occasional diarrhea but not too often. Started on omeprazole 20 mg daily, eventually went up to 40 mg daily plus ranitidine 150 mg daily. Still very frequent discomfort. Now on Nexium and ranitidine 150 BID. I think this is some heartburn but never really have burning or taste of acid in my throat. Can't tell what makes it worse or better except walking seems to make it worse.  Had abdominal ultrasound. Normal except prominence of pancreatic duct, 3-4 mm. I really feel this is either GERD or gallbladder, but again ultrasound showed normal gallbladder. Also liver, pancreatic enzymes all normal. Suggestions? Could this be due to pancreas? Would the ultrasound have shown a mass if there is one in the pancreas? Further test should be? EGD? Hida scan? ERCP? MRI?   Help!
1 Responses
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I would recommend you do some testing to see if this is GERD related or something else.  A HIDA scan to look at your gallbladder would also be a good idea.  In the mean time, you can try a GERD-friendly diet to see if that helps.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem