Gastroenterology Community

Rapid Onset Bowl Movements

I have a strange chronic and progressive condition that started almost immediately after I had a colonoscopy with polypectomy 4.5 years ago.  I facetiously call it “rapid onset bowl movements.”  

The time interval between my first sensation of a need to move my bowls and an emergency situation is growing increasingly shorter.  4 years ago, it was about 15-to-20 minutes.  Now, it is only about 3-to-5 minutes.  The sensation is as if my muscles are losing competency.  While I have never lost continence, I experience extreme pain, cramping, pressure, and a sensation that feels like my bowls are going to explode.  When I sit on the toilet, my bowels evacuate nearly instantaneously.  

Possibly related, I have also lost the ability to trust my farts when I am standing up, especially when I am coincidentally urinating.  If I expel gas while standing, I have about a 1-in-5 chance of expelling fecal matter with the gas.  If I am standing and urinating, the probability goes up to 80+%.  

My question is, could this be a complication from a botched colonoscopy?  The reason I ask is, the doctor gave me a prescription for heavy duty opioid pain pills after my procedure, and I certainly needed them for about 3 days afterward.  None of my friends who have experienced colonoscopies understand the need for pain medication.  
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem