Seeking advice on total gastrectomy recovery and eating afterwards

Hi I am going to have a total gastrectomy on 12/4 and wondered if there was anyone out there that has gone through this and can provide some strength during these difficult days. I am also interested in the recovery of eating after the surgery, time it took- what you ate, how much weight loss etc....
Thank you very much!
Take care,
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Be ready for a LONG recovery process.... my surgery was a month ago, i sprung a leak and had a second surgery,so I still am on ice chips only. I am off narcotic pain killers, and tube feedings are going well...maintaining my weight.But the difficulty of this procedure was greatly underestimated..Very emotionally trying... be ready for a big fight.
Helpful - 0
I had the surgery in Aug 2006. For the first 6 months, they had me on a feeding tube along with eating. Of course I was underweight/malnourished so there was no doubt I had to have the extra nutrition. It took 18 months for me to get to my goal weight and not being malnourished. I can eat almost anything, just smaller portions. One thing that I noticed is that if I eat any bread at all, because it fills me up so fast that I can not hardly eat anything else.
I had gotten up to eating a fair amount. Biggest thing (as told by the nutritionist) CHEW, CHEW, CHEW.
Everyone said that I would not be able to eat sweets after but after a few months I had no problems with sweets as long it was smaller portions.
Hope this helped a little.
Helpful - 0
I just posted a question and then found yours from the end of November.  I truly hope that by now things are on the upswing for you though I know it is a long and arduous process.  I need basically the same info you asked for and can see that no one responded to you on this site.  Have you any suggestions for me to forward on to my brother based on your own experience? He feels he is going to starve to death. My question was posted today on the 12th of Jan. We are at our wits end as to how to feed and what to feed him.  His surgery was 9 days after yours.  Whatever you can offer will be a great help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem