MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Sickness after gallbladder removal

My husband had his gallbladder removed about two weeks ago because it was extremely infected and he seemed okay for the first week, but now he is worse than ever.

He keeps vomiting foam, is constantly nauseous, and can't keep any liquids down.  He has the same pains that he had when he had his gallbladder. I know that a lot of times the pain persists even after the removal of the gallbladder but we went to the ER and all they said was that he had a UTI.

They gave him some antibiotics and some something for the nausea but nothing seems to help.

What should we do?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, we found out what it all was (hopefully), my husband still had a stone loose that they missed!
Helpful - 0
Funny thing about that is that the surgeon was a big jerk and didn't give us ANY type of info, so we don't know how to reach him.

My husband wont eat, he's afraid of eating anything at all.
I gave him a little (about half a cup) of shredded wheat and he ate most of it and kept it down, but that's all he's eaten since Thursday.

Thank you so much for responding!

-Jr_Size
Helpful - 0
Call the surgeon. If your husband had stones or sludge, some of that material could have escaped into the common bile duct and could be causing problems.

Make sure he's following a very, very low fat diet.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem