Symptoms: help to identify a disease

The pain below stomach started last July when I was in Europe. I just walked on the street and felt suddenly a sharp pain in my intestines that was so intensive that almost brought me on my knees. After a couple of minutes the pain eased but it left a general pain. I started drinking herbal teas and went to the doctor. Herbal teas did not help much and utlrasound did not show anything. And the pain was still there. I then started drinking kefirs with biocultures and the pain eased significantly. Between August-January my stomach (or immediately below it) was sensitive but pain was not there as such. Sometimes I woke up with a small dull pain on empty stomach but thought that I am just feeling hungry. When I ate breakfast the pain disappeared. I had no other symptoms (e.g.no fever, diarrhea). Then around February my intestines swallowed and the dull pain below the stomach (it was not concentrated in any specific place) became more intensive. I went to the doctor, did blood tests, urine test and everything was normal. I also did catscan and the only thing it showed was a large amount of stool although I did not really have constipation.  Doctor recommended to drink flex and other liquids. It helped only temporarily.
In the last two weeks, every morning I wake up with a dull pain below my stomach. It goes away (or at least I feel it less) when I eat and drink something.  A couple of days ago, when I did not eat for several hours, sharp pains in different parts of my intestines returned -- it was a similar symptom to what I had in Europe last summer. The pain eased only two/three hours after I ate something. These days my stool is generally fine although sometimes I have a very light diarrhea and the color of the stool is always only lightly brown. Recently, I have also noticed a stronger pulsation below my stomach when I go to bad. I have also lost desire for sex and am getting irritated very quickly.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Are you urinating more than usual. If so see a urologist it could be Interstitial cystitis.
Helpful - 0
Does the pulsation go with the heart beat?

I was sure it was an duodenal ulcer: pain on empty stomach releaved after eating is a typical sign. It is really interesting that Kefir helped you (maybe it was a coincidence...), maybe kefir built a thin lining over an ulcer and protect it from the acid. You might want to have a stool test for occult blood (Hemoccult). Duodenal ulcer may be diagnosed only with upper endoscopy though.

That pulsation was like a muscle twitch, like a spasm which repeats few times and subsides? Or was it constant and related to heart rhythm - in this case, my only thought is abdominal aorta aneurism. This should be seen on abdominal CT, but CT maybe wasn't done on the level of aneurism...Abdominal pulse may be felt in skinny persons regularly. Diagnosis is with ultrasound.

Light colored stool is from less excreted bile, which may be blocked on the level of bile ducts (usually due to gallstones). Ultrasound is not reliable for diagnosis, so HIDA scan should be done. If it is gallbladder, pain would be under the right rib cage, and would appear in minutes/few hours after eating a (fatty) meal.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem