Gastroenterology Community

Terrified I've let a stomach cancer grow.

So I've had this sort of gurgling/burping thing that's been steadily worsening for the past few years. I first noticed it a little over 5 years ago, but I think it might have been going on a bit longer than that. I had my first frank case of heartburn about 4 years ago and some, followed by the gurgling happening constantly after meals. The doctor then brushed me off (I was barely 30) and gave me 20 mg Prilosec, which stopped it at the time, but then I stopped taking it and continued to ignore my symptoms. As of last year, when I've tried it again, 20 mg Prilosec didn't really stop the burping (it's constant whenever I eat, and especially when I drink a lot of liquids, particularly coffee and alcohol). I also have occasional reflux/regurgitation. and when I lie down right after drinking water, it comes up a little in my throat.

A couple of times this year I had burning pain in my sternum swallowing (both after over-indulging over a weekend - one might have been from eating something really hot), but it went away after a couple of days. The last time it happened, I went to a PCP who told me to double my dose of Prilosec (which I haven't done yet) and not to worry about stomach cancer at the age of almost-34, especially with the duration of and only gradual worsening of my symptoms, but I've been freaking out ever since.

I also have noticed cloudy urine, with some particles in it. I'm terrified of proteinurea meaning advanced stomach cancer, but of course I haven't had it checked out yet.

I'm going to see a GI specialist next Monday (I finally have insurance as of last year), but I'm calling every day to see if he has an earlier opening. I'm terrified of what he's going to say, and even more terrified that he might brush my symptoms off. What if I've ignored the symptoms of stomach cancer and am now at stage IV or something?

I must also note that I'm in treatment for my anxiety problems, but until I get a dx I'm not going to have any idea what's realistic and what's not about my worries. I was hoping someone here could give me some kind of realistic idea of what could be going on with me. My boyfriend will leave me if I go on obsessing over this, although he's agreed to come with me to the doctor's. I'm afraid to eat because I hate thinking about the burping and slight regurgitation. Please can someone give me something resembling a reality check?
Hi, the earliest symptom of stomach cancer is loss of appetite and consequent loss of weight, so stop worrying. And it has been found that the persons with stomach cancer loses his appetite for his favorite food first. Frequent burping can happen with consumption of excess sugars, indigestion and aerophagia. It could also be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), malabsorption, inflammatory bowel diseases and various infections of the colon. Anything that irritates the under surface of the diaphragm can cause frequent burping, like liver abscess, hepatitis or peritonitis. Blood tests will help detect infections, besides stool examination which will reveal fat malabsorption.  Colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy are procedures which are used to study the whole colon for infections and inflammations. Bacterial overgrowth is tested with a breath test. Please discuss these issues with your doctor when you happen to meet him. Regards.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem