Gastroenterology Community

Ulcer swollen hands and legs plus chills

I was diagnosed with an ulcer few days back by the use of an X ray. Before the x ray I suffered for about two months without knowing my problem was. End of June I realized that I was feeling quite sick every evening after work but thought it was due to over work did not experience any fever which I measured. all the time it was between 36.7-37.1C. So I started jogging for about two days. Immediately my hands and legs(above the knee) got swollen . I felt tightness in them. I realized that my stomach was swollen too.

On June 30, 2008 I consulted a GP who put me through a blood test and stool test. The stool test result stated "No Ova or parasites seen". while the blood test thyroid function and general chemistry was normal. The doctor put me on Nexium tablets twice a day and most of the swelling subsided but not completely. Then only he asked me to do a follow through from which he identified it as a ulcer. While taking Nexium I felt upper back irritation as if something is pocking my upper spinal code. I had chicken pox in 2003.  after the nexium tablets the GP gave me Pariet 20mg. Still the upper back pain  occurs once a day but he intensity is low. My hands still swollen little bit. And I have about 9 side effects mentioned in the pariet tablet website. They are as follows headache, somnolence, dizziness, dry mouth, non specific pain, back pain, myalgia, leg crams, arthralgia. Sometimes I get blurry vision. which disappears instantely when I close and open my eyes once or twice. Not severely. Coulple of my ribs heart little when i touch them.  What worries me is the swollen hands and wrists. And the upper back pain is still come and goes and experience's chills in the evening. I dont know whether the lymp nodes on my writs is swollen or not sicne I don't know where they actually are.What could be the real reason for it. and when will it disappear? Please advice me....
Lymph nodes are in armpits and in the groin. Enlarged lymph nodes may cause arm and leg swelling. Other causes of swelling are liver, kidney or heart disease.

You should be examined by a doctor for enlarged lymph nodes. Blood proteins should be checked.

You should also have a H. pylori test. H. pylori produces gas in the stomach and can cause bloating (if this is "stomach swelling" you've mentioned).
Do you know how to find the lymph nodes in the wrist or the ankle ? is the H pylori test is different from a normal stool test for parasites? does H pylori causes lymph nodes to react?
Should I continue my Pariet 20mg medication for another week?? or should I consult my GP asap??
Lymph nodes are not in the wrist, but in the armpits. If they are enlarged, they can be felt with 2-3 fingers deep in the armpit - you should press more then gently...well, this can be checked quickly by a doctor.  In the leg, nodes are behind the ankles, but if those were the problem, then your lower leg would be swollen, not upper one. So they may be nodes in the groin, on the left and right side of genitals, in the front side.

H. pylori resides only in stomach and duodenum. It is diagnosed with a blood test or more reliable breath test performed by gastroenterologist (not by stool test). H. pylori causes gastritis and gastric/duodenal ulcer and can cause, stomach burning, bloating, burping and heartburn. H. pylori doesn't affect lymph nodes.

If Pariet causes some many side effects you should consider to change it. There's a lot of acid-blocking drugs available.

You should soleve this swelling issue also.
many thanks for the advice. I will consult my GP. I still couldn't locate the lymph nodes under my arm pits. My left two ribs seem to be sore when I touch them. If you have the time please take a look at the images I have posted under my profile and let me know what you think. Please tell me whether is it the 1 or 2 area of the right arm pit where the lymp nodes are situated. And my writs I have sent an image as well.

thankx,

Sam
Normal armpits are completely "empty", you can't feel no mass there. Enlarged nodes may be from pea to chestnut size or bigger, but they can't be seen, until they are pretty enlarged. You would feel them in location 2 on your image.

From hands photos - I can't see nothing. Swelling due to enlarged nodes would be diffuse and would be not limited only to hands but would extend toward the lower arm at least. Swelling may be sometimes limited to one or more tendons on tzhe back of the hand. It could be carpal tunnel syndrome - from repeated overuse of the wrist, from injury or from systemic disease like systemic sclerosis, rheumatoid arthtritis and so.

"Pocking of upper spinal cord" ..if you're sure it doesn't arise from esiophagus (heartburn), then you should have a check for...fibromyalgia, where several spots on the body are painfull.

2 painfull ribs, spine and this hand/leg could go in this scheme.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/basics-symptoms.php
many thanks boron.None of my family members have carpal tunnel syndrome. and why did my arms suddenly and hands suddenly swell when I start to jogging on the 25 June. They lasted till July2 till I take nexium. When I took nexium the swelling reduced. it stopped swelling. When I started pariet I didn't see a remarkable improvement . a little swelling is still there in my wrist and above the knee. I have small pains in the left side of my waist. I thought it was kidney pains. it was there before. And only the left side only give little pain. how would you be able to explain the lump on my wrists?  Again many thanks for the reply and taking the time to view the images.

regards,

Sam
Symptoms you've mentioned: headache, somnolence, dizziness, dry mouth, non specific pain, back pain, myalgia, leg crams, arthralgia are all characterisic for connective tissue diseases as:
- rheumatoid arthritis, or conditions like fibromyalgia.

Your physical signs are not very obvious (nothing actually seen on images), but you feel many symptoms related to muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints. Swelling may be just due to inflammed tendons. I recommend you to visit a rheumatologist, who will examine you and do basic blood tests. GP may not be experienced enough to give you exact diagnosis.
Dear Boron,
again many thanks for the reply. I will search for a rheumatologist  today. meanwhile do you have any idea why the swelling responded to nexium and not that much to pariet? and the side effects mentioned above arise after taking pariet... now I cannot stay long time in a yoga possition on my chair. and my muscle above the knee gives little pain above the knee. anyway does any of these symptoms have any connection with the ulcer. and I can still feel the swollen stomach. How serious is an ulcer and tell me the connection..
Thanking you,

Sam
Nexium, by my knowledge has nothing with your symptoms. About using which drug..use common sense.

Ulcer - I also don't see any connection betwen ulcer and your symptoms, except that they all may arise from anxiety.

Swollen stomach, if by this you mean bloating, may arise from H. pylori infection. You can have H. pylori test.
Please see the stomach image. The bloating occurs from point a to b on a straight line. and you can feel that under the skin the straight line swelling which end at the belly button. And anxiety wise, I was very high and was near the state of depression. Due to this illness and other factors.  I was extremely stresses about my condition. Extreme means to a very greater extent.. but it couldn't have triggered the burning irritaion on my upper back. Which I read that could arise when the immune system gets weaker, if the person had chicken pox at an earlier stage. so if the ulcer was cased by H pylori will it have any effect on the immune system?

Thanking you,

Sam
This is upper abdominal bloating (not seen on an image though). If you burp more frequently, and if you have occasional heartburn, that all speaks for H. pylori infection. H. pylori is in the stomach and causes gastritis, ulcer and this bloating. If you try treat this, then you'll see what other symptoms will remain. Burning irritation in upper back may actually be heartburn, or, if you don't think so, a muscular pain due to constant or repeated forced posture, or even from discus hernia in that region.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem