Vomitting after eating

I am a 45 year old male, normally good health. Type 2 diabetic with my sugar controlled by diet and oral medication.
My question is, for around 10 years I have had an issue with vomitting after my first bite of a meal. It doesn't matter what it is rice, potatoe, bread, meats. It feels as if there is a blockage in my chest after the the first bite. I chew my food into smaller pieces for better digestion and that doesn't make a difference. Occaisionally, I wait a moment or two and it digests, but most times I have to go to a bathroom and vomit. I had an Upper G.I around 5 years ago and was told that something in my digestive system is thinner than the average person.
My worry now is that over the weekend when this happened, immediatly after vomitting I felt something like a shock throughout my chest.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A detailed evaluation may be necessary for determining the correct cause of your symptoms. Heartburn, a bitter or sour taste at the back of the throat are common symptoms of GERD. If one experiences heartburn two or more times per week it raises the suspicion of GERD. A complete history and tests like endoscopy will confirm the diagnosis. In mild gastritis over-the-counter antacids can help in neutralizing stomach acid and can provide fast pain relief. When antacids don't provide enough relief, medications such as cimetidine, ranitidine or famotidine that help reduce the amount of acid the stomach produces are often prescribed. Proton pump inhibitors may help in severe cases. It is important to confirm the diagnosis. I hope you find this information useful.
Best luck and regards!
Helpful - 0
Thank you for responding. However there is no bitter or sour taste or real heartburn. Feels more like a blockage
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem