Wait... symptomatic stones and STILL keeping the gallbladder?! Even with the risk of having a stone lodged in the bile duct and causing pancreatitis (a potentially fatal condition)? (To be fair, if the stone is too large to pass through the bile duct this isn't really a risk.)
Not to be rude, but why? If the GB is diseased, no matter how healthy he eats he will STILL have to get it removed, since the GB, once symptomatic, starts becoming considerably more sensitive, to the point where even no-fat meals may cause symptoms.
Ruptured gallbladders are not common. However, they can be deadly. Symptoms include vomiting, possibly jaundice, and very definitely excruciating pain due to peritonitis, A ruptured GB would require hospitalization and may include possible complications causing life-long damage.
surely a ruptured gall bladder is a medical emergency ... the required surgery for this would carry far more risks than planned gall bladder removal.
i had to wait nearly 7 months on a waiting list for my surgery i was an open conversion and my gallbladder was in the early stages of gangreen with widespread infection - i was moved up the waiting list by 2 weeks due to a cancelation (the date clashed with another patients holiday plans) my surgeon was horrified that i was not showing any signs of deterioration at the time i had my surgery - he also suggested that had i waited 2 weeks and stuck with the origional date i would have been fighting for my life before that with a poor prognosis. my recovery took along time as the infection hindered healing and i developed further complications as a result.
i would urge your father to reconsider planned surgery.
I know its been several months since this discussion thread was posted, but I just had to respond to this. Gnorb, you couldn’t understand why Reigaaru’s father hadn’t already had his gallbladder out. It almost seemed as though you were criticizing her. However, she never stated her father was in good health, only that they had forgone the operation and just changed his diet, to make sure he’s eating healthy. Perhaps this is something their doctor had suggested, but was also obligated to explain the dangers for not removing it. They will do this if there are any underlying medical problems and they feel the gallbladder is stable ATM. Notice, I did say at the moment because once they feel the patient is stable & healthy enough, and the condition of the gallbladder is worsening, they will then opt to do the surgery. In fact, this is something that was suggested to me, only because I have so many other underlying issues. It was felt, that since the gallbladder isn’t posing any major problems atm, that we shouldn’t tempt fate because of all the risks/complications that can occur during and after the surgery. They would prefer me to stay alive, and frankly I do too. As it was explained to me, if my gallbladder was to become really infected or (Heaven hope not) rupture, I could recognize it and get myself to the ER ASAP. Luckily, I only live a mile from the hospital.
not as simple as it seems - i had no signs of deteriotaion and no pain as far as i thought i was controlling the problem with diet - little did i know i was weeks away from serious life threatining problems!! when i had my surgery i took a date 2 weeks earlier from the origional date due to a cancellation and the fact no one was on holiday that week and after discussion with my boss it was more convienient to be off then than the origional date!! my surgeon was not shy at telling me i was lucky to have had a cancellation as i may not have made the next 2 weeks!! as i said in my post i was asymptomic but i had gangreen and would have been seriously ill very qickely!!
gnorb was only offering advice - and i for one agree with that opinion - based on my experience.
I know this was posted a long time ago but I wanted to let you, as well as the other concerned commenters, know that we were finally able to convince my father to under go the surgery and it went well.
I can't thank you enough for the information and I am sorry I was silent about it until now.
Thank you again,
sasha, i am glad your father agreed to surgery and all went well. all the best for his further recovery.
HI sillyvixen. HELP ME!! :( Were they able to see the gangrene via ULTRASOUND? Please let me know please oh please :'(