Gastroenterology Community

What symptoms did you experience with pinworms?

Many people have pinworms and don't have any symptoms at all.The most common symptom of pinworms is itching around the anus. It is worse at night when the female worm deposits her eggs on the person infected. This can lead to difficulty getting a good night's sleep. This intense itching is felt to be due to an inflammatory response to the adult worm and her eggs in the perianal tissue. If severe scratching occurs, the skin may break down and allow development of a secondary bacterial infection.Pinworms can rarely migrate into the vagina or urinary tract causing irritation in these regions. Intense itching is again the prominent complaint. This location of infection is less common than the perianal region, and the infection usually goes away on its own. Case reports of E. vermicularis migration into the internal female reproductive tract have been reported. These infections are very rare.Pinworms do not cause abdominal pain, bloody bowel movements,fevers, or poor appetite. If the person has any of these signs or symptoms, they may have a more serious condition and should call a doctor or visit the hospital's emergency department. Adult pinworms have been found in inflamed appendices removed at operation; however, whether the pinworm infection was the cause of appendicitis is controversial.
In the weeks previous to diagnosis, I experienced anal itching off and on.  Then it became noticeable that it was always at night around 9 p.m. and quite severe.  It was accompanied by a "tickling" or a feeling that "something was moving" in the rectal area.  As it worsened, I became panicky and fearful about that time every evening.  Finally, on a Sunday, I called my health care provider and she prescribed Mebendazole 100 mg.  I was to take one the first day, one in one week and one the week after that.  I took the first one, thought I felt better, then two days later I was sure I felt it again, though less severe.  I went ahead and took another tablet.  Things lessened, but two days later I became sure I was feeling it again.  I am possibly going to take another tablet.  I think one of the worst things about this is psychologically I feel fearful, dirty, anxious and powerless.  I have seen enough pictures of what they look like to really "creep me out."  What makes it even worse is that I am a health care professional and never even dreamed I could pick this up.  I feel this is devastating me, at least for now.  I feel like crying and I am not sure if I really feel it now or am just imagining it.  I have looked with a mirror and cannot see what I think I feel....To tell you the truth I am scared.
One night before bed my 4 year old daughter jumped up telling me "there's a tickle in my bottom!" She had never said that before. She asked me to look and I saw a little white worm. I took it out and put it between tape. I was freaked out! I was surprised to find out how common pin worms are. Still didn't make me feel any less worried or sickened. We continue to clean everything and treat her with medications to be sure.
My pinworm infection started with an itchy anus proceeded by itchy face, insomnia, and irritability.  I have treated this a few times but it seems to come back after about three months.  My doctor and I are both bewildered by this.  I seem to be highly resistant to medication for it.
Miedo,  My feelings are identical to yours and I am scared too.  Lets just hope that the mebendazole 100 mg does its job.  I just took my second dose yesterday and I can't tell if I'm just imagining the worms moving or if its in my head.  What's worse is that when my mother and sister-in-law came to visit with her two young children, they neglected to tell us that their kids had worms.  Their 10 year old son with behavioral problems was itching his butt, going #2 and not washing his hands, and constantly touching and grabbing to hold my 15 month old baby.  Needlesss to say, after my baby, myself, and hubbie all getting worms (and no sleep or sex life for 4 weeks for hubbie) I am keepin those in laws outta my house!!  These worms are highly contagious and the reinfection rate is very high.  I have been bleaching the floors, spraying disinfectant on the carpet, and laundering the sheets and bath-towels every day.  Good luck to everyone trying to get rid of these things.  And if you see a kid itching his butt and not washing his hands (and then eating a hot dog), it's the classic sign of pin worms--keep your babies away!!!!
I am 13 and have had pinworms twice. Each time my symptoms changed but i have had intense diarrhea, headache, intense itching (of course), intestinal pain, and nausea. It is important to note that all these symptoms do not happen at once, instead off and on in shifts.
I am 13 and I had them a wile back, they went away when I got tablets and took hot showers for seven nights. I got them when I first got my period, I thought it was just me but them I found out they were common. I recently got them back and they are still the same size. I am scared of them. But then I relized I got them from pets. I thought you got them when you first get your period!
We live in HK. I took my boys to Vancouver last summer. My little one told me couple of times that "there are worms in my poop," but he has developmental delay, so I really didn't pay any attention at first because I thought he didn't know what he was saying. But one night, after he pooped, he said it again, then I took a look in the toilet and I freaked out! I saw so many white worms in the poop, and they're alive! It was really creepy and I was so scared. Later that night when my son was sleeping, I checked his bottom, saw some worms crawling out. I searched the internet and I was pretty sure what they were. So I took my boys to the clinic the next day and got the medication, I also treated the elder one and me just in case. It came back to the little one after couple of months, we used the same treatment. Now it's another summer holiday, and we're in Vancouver again, and I just found out my boy has got pinworms again! But I'm more calm now, compared the first image I saw, it's nothing now. I'm taking the boys to the doctor again tomorrow. I don't understand why this keeps happening.
am a 20 yr guy.....!still am suffrn dz bloody itchn....!
Extreme Itching around the anus area and I have bloating of the stomach with weight gain that I can't get off
I had the itchy face thing, tickly anus, vegetable aversion, lethargy, depression, vaginal vulnerability to yeast, difficult athletes foot,  - i work with kids at elementary school and must have picked it up there and i am a bit of a dork when it comes time to hands to mouth, though i do wash my hands a lot!!  grrr!!    I was told to take the chewable version of Mebendazole 100mg, every 12 hours for 3 days, 6 pills.  Then do it again in 2 weeks, but i started it today, 2 days late, becasue the tickly bottom is back along with prescence in my poop.  I was also given a refill of 2 doses.  Ask for all the meds they can give - these guys have an imperative!!   Also, there is something about the 2 week window, eggs hatching i guess - take the 2 week challenge, wash everything, clean the floor/furniture often, and be prompt about starting the 2nd dose of meds at 2 weeks...
pls dortor i need the name of the medicine it have been for 20years now iam dry with pain waist beat
I had slight stomach disturbance of diarrhea followed by some itching in the anus. I took toilet paper and cleaned the area to see a few tiny tiny worm creatures that were not moving. I never had these as a child but was camping a lot this past festival season and apparently have picked up a traveler of my own.
When I had pinworms, I had an extremely itchy anus, mostly at night. That didn't go away or ease up! I have no idea HOW I contacted them as there are no children present here. Pin- X helps.
With pinworms, I had itchy privates and pain at night.
my daughter can not get ride of these worms i am so scared we have done medicine the whole family already and she still has them help someone please
ive been sick for quite a while now and i dident put it togeather until i pullpined up swollen jowels on the computer and that got pinworms i put everything togeather and that was it every time i went to the doctors they would tell me that i was imagening everything 'how do you get them to listen i feel like i:m daying or going to loose it
Can pin worm be transmitted to other children by playing in sand boxes, and water tables that they use in elementary schools.  Thanks for your help
last night i found a 10cm length worm wriggling around in the toilet bowl.it had been 14hrs since anyone had gone no-2's.the toilet had also been flushed consistently throughout the day preceeding the discovery.due to the length of the parasite i have reason to believe it could be pinworm,but unsure.the worm itself looked alot like an earthworm but had a flat head,a characteristic of parasitic worms.no one in the household has shown sysmptoms asociated with worms.this incident makes little or no sense.
can you get pin worms from sitting on toilet seat when someone else is infected in the house
All my grandkids ages 4, 5, and 6 have itching bottoms. Also red spots, like a rash on their bottoms.
I have had pin worms off and on since childhood.  Now I am 87. Again I have them so will take action to purge them out once again.  The itch is very noticeable.
Pinworms have a 1 or two week life cycle.  You must change  bed sheets etc every week.   Very hot water kills the eggs.  I think bright sunlight might kill eggs also.  Hang sheets etc outside on a clothes line.  Seems like the eggs only survive outside the body for  2 or 3 weeks. You can bag up your clothes and linens and store them away for 3 weeks.   All these ideas need further research if anyone wants to search.    A hot dryer may kill them       Extremely contagious.   Eggs can blow around as dust.  Change your furnace air filter.  Do a Spring Cleaning of your total home.  60 years ago it was standard to do total spring cleaning.  100 % of house in one weekend.   Then treat the family with anti worm medicine.  Don't need to wait for spring, any season.  Clean everything, cloths, rugs shampoo,                 Medication:    pyrantel pamoate  works good and many pharmacies have it No prescription needed        Lack of deep sleep can really mess with ones personality.   As one gets into deep sleep and lays very still the worms come out.  This disturbs your deep dreaming sleep  REM.      Kids with hyperactivity might possibly be helped by  getting rid of pin worms. See a Doctor. Some MDs and drugstores not big on pinworms.   Adults are less sensitive down there than kids.  A  few worms are bearable.  A hundred will wipe one out.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem