Gastroenterology Community

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

The most common symptom of acute pancreatitis or pancreas pain is  abdominal pain. Almost everybody with acute pancreatitis experiences abdominal pain.The pain may come on suddenly or build up gradually. If the pain begins suddenly, it is typically very severe. If the pain builds up gradually, it starts out mild but may become severe.The pain is usually centered in the upper middle or upper left part of the belly (abdomen). The pain is often described as if it radiates from the front of the abdomen through to the back.The pain often begins or worsens after eating.The pain typically lasts a few days.The pain may feel worse when a person lies flat on his or her back.People with acute pancreatitis usually feel very sick. Besides pain, people may have other symptoms and signs.Nausea (Some people do vomit, but vomiting does not relieve the symptoms.)Fever, chills, or bothSwollen abdomen which is tender to the touchRapid heartbeat (A rapid heartbeat may be due to the pain and fever, dehydration from vomiting and not eating, or it may be a compensation mechanism if a person is bleeding internally.)In very severe cases with infection or bleeding, a person may become dehydrated and have low blood pressure, in addition to the following symptoms:Weakness or feeling tired (fatigue)Feeling lightheaded or faintLethargyIrritabilityConfusion or difficulty concentratingHeadacheCullen's sign (bluish skin around the belly button)Grey-Turner sign (reddish-brown skin discoloration along the flanks)Erythematous skin nodulesIf the blood pressure becomes extremely low, the organs of the body do not get enough blood to carry out their normal functions. This very dangerous condition is called circulatory shock and is referred to simply as shock.Severe acute pancreatitis is a medical emergency.
I liked the article its very interesting and informative. Keep up the great work.
pain in abdomen vomitting,nousea. pressure toiled but not passed, gas bubbels in stomach suddenly increase the Serum amalyse and lipase from 2001 every one and half year episodes are repeated upto five six times.  no alchol taken and nothing diagnous about in gall blader stone the reason does not know. doctors every time ask the acute pancrease
It has been a long road, about 25 years of symptoms. Started out as pain and tenderness below sternum area. Said I had chronic gastritis. Had severe constipation. Could only eat small meals and felt full for a very long time. Had severe bloating. Symptoms progressively got worse over the years.  Began having horrible nausea, epigrastic and right flank pain after eating. A Hida scan showed gallbladder functioning at only 8% and said probable sphincter of oddie dysfunction. Had gall bladder out Jan 2010.The doc told me this would cure me.  One month later still had same symptoms, only more severe. I kept telling my doc, I thought it was my pancreas. My blood sugar might run 60 one hour after eating or it might be 160 three hours after eating. I kept complaining to my doctors. They did CTs, MRIs, MRCP, US, blood work didn't show any increases in pancreatic enzymes and all scans showed up clear. I finally got my doc to refer me to a specialist about having an ERCP done in Louisville.  He did an endoscopic US of the pancreas and it showed pancreas divism (birth defect with pancreas having two ducts instead of one ). It also showed five out of nine criteria for chronic pancreatitis. He tried a large dose of Pancreas enzymes which I could not tolerate. He was not in any hurry to do an ERCP because of my deformed pancreas. When I could no longer tolerate the nausea and pain, I went back. I had the ERCP on July 21, 2011.He put a stent in the pancreas and the common bile duct. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and had 5 days of horrible spasm type abdominal pain He said my pancreas is very inflamed. They called today and want to do another ERCP in 3 weeks, not understanding this since they told me the stents would be taken out in two months. One thing to note: when I would eat, it would set off a series of symptoms like my heart pounding and beating fast, chest pressure, abdominal and flank pain and severe headache. These were caused by the pancreatitis stimulating the vagal nerve. The docs really need to listen to what the patient says and not rely so heavily on labs and first line tests. I was misdiagnosed and undiagnosed for so long that my pancreas is probably permanently damaged and will never recover well. Be your own health advocate. Never give up if you feel something is being missed with your health.
been feeling really tired, had tail of the pancreas out for pre-cancerous pancreas cyst and my spleen removed in 200. also have been lately getting chills when nobody else is cold
I had surgery two weeks ago to check on a narrowing on one of my liver ducts. They told me I had a 5% chance of getting pancreatitis and I did. It was the worse pain I have ever had in my life. I was admitted in hospital for eight days and am recovering at home. I still have a lot of inflammation and discomfort.
My 4 yr old grand-daughter has a golf ball size mass in her pancreas...We live in west central Indiana and we need to know the nearest hospital or clinic that can take care of this problem...  We went to Payton Manning Childrens Hospital on wed and the surg we saw has never preformed this procedure....could you please help me??
I felt as though I had heartburn for several days. I still felt hungry etc. I did vomit for days and finally went to ER "thought maybe my heart" and they discovered pancreatitis as well as gall stones so I had gall bladder removed and now 4 months later I am starting to feel that burning in my stomach again.
Severe pain that radiated around to my back just like a gall bladder attack.  Only, my gall bladder was removed 33 years ago.  After being in the hospital for 4 days I'm scheduled for an ERCP on Tuesday. Hopefully that will take care of it.
My daughter had been experiencing abdominal pain through her back as well. She went to the ER where did a bladder scan which showed nothing so the doc said she had strained a muscle picking up her baby. Last week it came back again getting worse until she went back to the ER on Monday night where did a gall bladder ultrasound which also showed nothing but the dr. sent her to a stomach specialist. However, a nurse there told her it sounded like her appendix and the stomach dr said they don't deal with that. So she ended up going to her regular nurse practitioner who agreed that it might be her appendix and that she needed a CT scan so she went back to the ER and told them basically she wouldn't leave this time without one so they not only did one of her appendix but a full one so they would hopefully find (or at rule out) everything, so this time they came back and said her pancreas was inflamed and they were admitting her, especially since it had been when she'd been in there before (now how did they know that?). They brought in an internal medicine team from our local medical school clinc who took a complete history and gave her a through exam then after some discussion re nothing by mouth allowed her a clear liquid diet since she wasn't saying eating was making her worse but she hadn't had an appetite so hadn't had anything to eat in 24 hrs. and felt that was making her worse. So she's in there now wating to see what's going to happen.
In 2006...I was experiencing severe pain in my abdomen,where I would double over with pain..After 1 year of going to the Dr,2 times every week,I said that I needed to either go to Mayo Clinic or IU Hospital,and find out what is wrong with me..They sent me to IU hospital in Indy,where they did an ERCP procedure..They then diagnosed me with Pancreas Divisium,which they then told me was a birth defect,where I have a split pancrease,they tried to put 2 stints in,but they fell through..The pain lifted for awhile,but after 3 years..Everything I eat goes right through me and can't even digest food like a normal person..Just after eating a meal,within 5-10 minutes I would have to use the restroom.  I have severe pain and the Drs.have been baffled as to what is going on with me..I know my body and I know that something is wrong with me..I just want some answers..I just want to feel normal again..Can anyone give me some answers?..After reading alot of information on the problems that I am having,and others have had..I believe I do have Pancreatitis..I just need some answers...I am worried and scared..Concerned in Indiana
Pancreatitis is very painful, I was in hospital for a week, had to eat soft foods and lot's of liquids.
A relative has had recurring nausea and temp. bouts that go away in one or two weeks.after a fourth bout with the pain and temp.of 102 after eating a salted soup,she became ill for a whole month.tests showed nothing abnormal,but she felt well enough to jog.ciuyld tghis be pancreatis?
I have pancreatic problem at least 3-4 months but i consulted doctor. They advised Ultrasound and CT scan.Resulted a small 15mm tumor on Pancreas. Advised normal gastric tablets. Suggested in future it may be right or not we can't say. Some doctors advised it must need surgery but i got pain right side of domain. what disision to be taken i can't find pl suggest me.
For 2 weeks I have had bloated stomach and back pain in mid to upper back. Also feel nauseous interrmintly. Symptoms are worse after eating.
I have had chronic pancreatitis for approx. 8 years due to acute pancreatitis from a stone lodged in my pancreatic duct.  Now I am having major problems with swelling in my upper abdomen and not being able to have a BM on my own at all.  It feels as though none of my food digests into my intestine.  Is this possible?  Has anyone else had these symptoms?  I do take pancreatic enzymes, but I dont see any effect from them.
I had an ERCP, which caused pancreatis. I was put it the hosptial for 12 days had to have a pic line put in so I could get nutrients. I had been out of the hospital for 3 weeks when I got some severe pain in my right side..now they are telling me I have a cyst. The surgeon is not wanting to remove it yet. He said that it either could go away on its own or become absessed and will have to be removed I have been suffering for 5 weeks now since the beginning..I have been told that it can last months..
For three weeks I had sharp pain left upper abdomen shooting to middle abdomen and sometimes milder on right abdomen. Always pain shot to my middle back between lower shoulder blades. Sometimes I feel a pinching in the left arm. The pain would be sharp every two days. Pain was not more or less when empty stomach or full stomach. I went to the ER and they couldn't find cause of pain. They told me to eat no fresh food, nothing raw and slowly over days the pain subsided but still I still feel pain in my back.
With my pancreatitis, I had upper left belly pain to the touch, gas, and bloating.
i had severe upper abdominal pain and the pain in the back also. vomitting, low pressure occurring during my pain .
The pain started very low down in the pit of my stomach and later rose higher up. I then started to get pain under my left shoulder blade which spread across my back. I constantly felt nauseated and very tired and lost about 10 pounds. My stools became very waxy. I had an endoscopic ultrasound and was told that apart from slight enlargement, my pancreas was normal.
My pancreatitis symptoms were vomiting every single time I ate or drink anything. Smells made me sick. I was cold, tired, dizzy and in so much pain. Thought it was the flu at first. I went to the hospital Saturday and found out about it.
How bad is 36000 x the amount of lipase in bloodwork? I couldnt find much. The doctor was surprised to see me walking. I said it was the pain killers.
I have been battling chronic pancreatitis for over two years. It began with an extreme amount of upper abdominal pain which radiated through to my back, right about where my kidneys are located. I have been in constant severe pain ever sense, along with nausea, extreme fatigue, and when the pain is the most severe I have a hard time breathing.
I thought I had gastroenteritis, then possibly food poisoning, but after 2 days I woke with huge pains in my chest, thought it was my heart. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. No stomach pains what so ever. No gallstones, not a heavy drinker, and hardly ate fatty foods either.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem