Gastroenterology Community

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pain is less common in chronic pancreatitis than in acute pancreatitis. Some people have pain, but many people do not experience abdominal pain. For those people who do have pain, the pain is usually constant and may be disabling; however, the pain often goes away as the condition worsens. This lack of pain is a bad sign because it probably means that the pancreas has stopped working.Other symptoms of chronic pancreatitis are related to long-term complications, such as the following:Inability to produce insulin (diabetes)Inability to digest food (weight loss and nutritional deficiencies)Bleeding (low blood count, or anemia)Liver problems (jaundice)What are the risk factors for pancreatitis?The major risk factors for pancreatitis are excessive alcohol intake and gallstones. Although the definition for excessive alcohol intake can vary from person-to-person, most health-care professionals suggest that moderate consumption is no more than two alcoholic beverages a day for men and one a day for women and the elderly. However, people with pancreatitis secondary to alcohol intake are usually advised to avoid all alcohol intake.Other risk factors includea family history of pancreatitis,high levels of fat (triglycerides) in the blood,cigarette smoking,certain inherited disorders such as cystic fibrosis, andtaking certain medicines (for example estrogen therapy, diuretics, and tetracycline).
I have been hospitalized several times for acute pancreatitis. I don't drink and I don't have diabetes. This perplexed doctors. Finally my gastroenterologist said that I had small bowel obstruction and then pancreatitis follows. Usually it is the other way around. I have had multiple surgeries from a car accident, and other surgeries, so I have scar tissue all over the place. My intestines have narrowed and I can only eat soft foods. I am obstructed with fiber and chunks of food. Then all backs up and I get liver problems and pancreatitis. I am far from normal. So if any of you are not drinkers or diabetic, discuss this with your doctor.
I have pain in lower chest area, in the middle, and heavy headache and vomiting. Now I am 39 weeks pregnant. Yesterday night I had some cottage cheese food and after eating within 2 hours pain started. I am concerned it is pancreatitis.
I have had chronic pancreatitis about 3 1/2 years ago and now suffering from constant diarrhea.
I have pain in my left side and left back from chronic pancreatitis. I take lipase. I ate a fatty meal which put me to bed. I found that not eating, taking Zenpep and an antacid helped most. Pancreas now acts up easily, and I experience pain, nausea, feeling extremely poorly overall, and now I have palpitations. I intend to see a professional as heart disease history is predominant.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem