Avatar universal

Worried.. Please help. Abdominal Mass growing

Hello, my name is Candi and I am 26 years old, 5’8, 127 pounds and I have had three children.

My problem started two years ago when I noticed hard mass under my right rib cage. My Doctor seemed worried, his words were "holy ****, that’s on your liver” He sent me for an ultrasound and for some reason did not show up. And that was that. He had said that "MAYBE" it is a broken off rib....
Just to clarify, I have NEVER broken a rib...especially right off. I think I would have been aware of that.
This mass I have slips right under my rib cage when I lay down for some reason. It can be painful at times and is causing a lot of pressure to the point that I can't even sit properly. I have to lean to the left to make room for this mass.

Which brings me to now...
This mass is now roughly 10 centimeters long and as far as I can measure 5 centimeters wide. Whatever it is seems to be growing, and I am starting to worry. My dr. is the type that doesn’t like to be proved wrong, or people asking for second opinions... so I was wondering if I could get some advice here first.

Thank you very much.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
You need a new doctor, not just a second opinion.  Just because they can all sign their names "M.D." doesn't mean they are all exceptional physicians.  It's your health - you'll want the best doctor you can give yourself!

I hope you've already called an internist or a hepatologist about the mass.  I wish you godspeed and hope it's nothing serious!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Who cares if he is offended by second opinions! I'd get to a liver specialst ASAP. Find a good Heptologist!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have no idea what it could be, but it should be evaluated immediately by a doctor.  It seems that you've gone a long time between visits so I would not wait.

Find another doctor...don't care if the doctor doesn't want you to get a second opinion.

When I had a problem I asked my very respected doctor for the name of another doctor for a second opinion.  He gladly gave me one...I also asked a specialist for another name and got it.  I was told that any respectable doctor would happily have you get a second opinion.

You need one right away -- especially since the first doc didn't even diagnose or find anything.

It may be harmless, but you need to know what it is right away.

I wish you the best -- do it for your kids!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem