MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Yaz and gallbladder

I'm a healthy 46 yr old  who has been taking Yaz for almost a year. About 5 years ago I was hospitalized for
cholic-y gallbladder. I've seen commercials stating a correlation between the Yaz and gallbladder issues; should I
be concerned? All my labs have been normal the past several times and the one time I experienced pain in the appropriate place it was diaged as a pulled muscle. Also: how do I differentiate between the 2? The pain was quite
similar. (Nothing came of the hospital stay-no diet modifications or anything, and there was no recurrence.)

This discussion is related to Upper Right Abdominal Pain.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oh, you're plenty fertile enough!  Just use another form of birth control, that's all.
Helpful - 0
I wondered about that! My gyn said I'm probably not that fertile at this point so I wondered about the wisdom of taking oral contraceptives-I'll speak up at my next appt.
Thanks!
Helpful - 0
I cannot comment much on the gallbladder, but I CAN tell you that you should not take Yaz on account of your previous colicky gallbladder, nor should you be on any birth control pill because of your age, too much risk for heart problems.  Switch to birth control with foam and rubbers, done correctly it's more effective than the pill.  Since a doc said the pain in URQ was pulled muscle, you can go with that.  If your gallbladder goes, you will most definitely know it, but keep in mind it's not exactly a completely necessary organ to have if you wind up losing it.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem