Gastroenterology Community

can't get rid of pinworms

I can't get rid of pinworms. Have had them for 8 years now.  I have taken many prescriptions and over the counter meds and home remedies.  Now my rectum hurts.  Need advice on getting rid of these horrible things.  I'm fed up!!
Try a week long water fast. If you don't feed them they will die.  it will be worth it.
8 years? Wow... Is it always intense? I mean have you felt intense itching every single night for the past 8 years?

Which medications have you used? Some of them are not as effective as the others. Make sure you use one of these drugs:

From wikipedia: "Antihelmintic drugs albendazole (Albenza), mebendazole (Vermox, OVEX), Piperazine and pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X, Reese's Pinworm Medication) are commonly used to treat pinworms; these medicines kill the pinworms 95% of the time, but do not kill the eggs. The person being treated should receive a second course after two weeks."

However sometimes even medication doesn't help, so you should go for the multiple method approach.

1- Take your medication everyday (my doctor told me it was safe to do it for 20 days or so for persisting infections, although you'd better consult a doctor anyway).

2- Eating 20-30 pumpkin seeds everyday (unprocessed, uncooked, with the peel) works wonders. You can also mix 60 gm of grind pumpkin seeds (with the peel) with honey and water. Eat the mixture in 3 portions every 2 hours. It is said to be the best solution for pinworms.

3 - Make sure to include garlic and lots of spices (especially curry) in every single meal you cook, also swallowing one garlic a day (as a whole, like a pill) helps too. You can also just eat 2-3 garlics a day. Another solution is adding honey to mashed garlic cloves and eating it 2-3 times a day for a week. In short: Eat garlic!

3- Refrain from eating meat and sugar for a while, because they feed the worms. Eat veggies and fruits and foods that are rich in fiber. Some ppl do the pineapple cure in which you eat&drink nothing but pineapple and pineapple juice for 3 days, worms can't take that much acid and die. You can also eat one tablespoon of coconut everyday in the breakfast. Also a small cup of grated carrot taken every morning is said to be offensive to all kinds of parasites.

There are a million ways to get rid of the adult worms inside you, but avoiding reinfection is the hard part. Make sure to

1- clean/vacuum the floors of your house daily (especially the bathroom and the laundry room, if possible buy a pair of slippers only to be used in these rooms and leave them there),

2- change bed sheets and underclothes daily, and be very gentle while doing so, do not shake the dirty laundry cuz then the eggs get airborne and that's bad, also do not forget washing them in boiling soapy water and ironing them with a red hot iron! Fry those eggs that are stuck to your undies!

3- wash your hands as much as possible, eggs on your hands are not persistent but make sure to use an antibacterial soap,

4- use disinfectent for cleaning the bathroom, but do not inhale while doing so, those products are extremely dangerous,

5- bathe twice a day (especially in the morning) or at least swipe your bottom with vinegar in the mornings (or a mixture of mashed garlic and vaseline at night so that the females can't go out and lay eggs),

6-  keep fingernails as short as possible,

7- most importantly do not touch or scratch your bottom,

8 - you can try wearing gloves and masks while using the bathroom or cleaning the house (my mum's a nurse, so I got a couple boxes of those surgery gloves and masks), this way you won't inhale the airborne eggs and your hands will definitely be clean after using the bathroom.

9- Eight years is a looong time! Your whole family must have been infected. So every member in your household should adhere to these rules, and they should be treated with medication as well, because if you don't, something called ping-pong infection happens and the family members keep infecting each other.

10- In order to get rid of the stray eggs in your house, always keep your shades open in the mornings, eggs are sensitive to sunlight and most of them will die this way, for persisting eggs, you can try leaving the house for a day, and heating it up to 95 degrees for 24 hours. That should kill all the eggs.

11- Oh and if you have pets in your house, wash them well and do not let them enter the bathroom or the bedrooms for a while. Although pinworms can only live in humans, animals like to play around on the floor, so they might pick up eggs on their fur, and you can imagine the various ways you might inhale those eggs. I had to shun my beautiful cats for a long time :(

If you do all these things and still get reinfected, there might be a problem. So the last step is the colon cleanse. There are lots of colon cleanse products out there, like MetaCleanse or Ultimate Cleanse, they clean your bowels thoroghly and make sure those little bastards don't have a hiding place in your intestines. They are made from natural ingredients and safe to use.

Good luck!
I have the EXACT problem, doctors think it is easy to get rid of but it is very hard. I have fasted as well as took a vitamin and garlic in a supplement pill form and have taken Mebendazole and nothing helps. I have been to the doctor multiple times and the first 2 they only gave me a days worth and the last time they gave me a months worth and it STILL did not help.

Then I went to my last dr who wants to refer me to a colon Dr and get a colonoscopy so they can look inside me which I heard is painful.

He said that the laxatives, etc are strong, they are like colon cleansers and it totally removed everything from your colon.... I am not sure if those STRONG colon cleaners they give work or not but it totally cleans your colon (I guess pin worms can still be stuck to the colon wall but I am not sure)

I just wish they would go up in there and remove and clean my colon.

I mean at first the pin worms were soooo bad... I was itchy all the time!

NOW I am not at all itchy at night... But I still see them in my stools, not everyday but every few days... I have heard they are a pain to get rid of.

I also have been going through this painful cycle for the past 15 years on and off!!!! I have been taking vermox and zentel every 3 months or so for the past 15 years, but i have recently felt them again right after having taken zentel, and to make sure i went to the lab and did the tape test which turned out to be positive..
I have started taking blackwalnut capsules and garlic capsules every day with coloncleanser but my anus has been itching much more ever since and i don't get it!! I will go get tested again in 2 days, and if the result turns out positive, i really don't know what other options I have..since the drs seem to find my problem basic and don't know of treatments other than the vermox and zentel.
And for the record, i have had a colonoscopy last october, and the dr didn't see anythg (i didnt even know they could see them anyway).
Any person with a similar prob who has found a solution would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I got the same problem. Doctors look at me like I'm imagining it when I tell them the medication hasn't worked. I've been taking mebendazole sometimes daily for years; I buy it bulk at chemist warehouse; it only knocks their numbers back a little. I think they get resistant to medication. I've done the daily washing of sheets, clothes, towels, washing hands, vacuuming every day, wet cloth dusting all over the house, cleaning lightswitches and door knobs, vasaline on my behind, eating carrots till my skin went orange, etc, etc, etc. I even tried starving them, and nearly starved myself till I could barely stand, but they remained, determined to last in this body longer than I. The nights are horrible; they get over my buttocks, up my back, down my legs, in my genital region, it is like living a horror movie. Its so depressing and its made me reclusive like a hermit. Just me and these horrible creatures that have infested my body. When I die I intend to have this body cremated and I will take much pleasure in watching the bastards burn. I believe there is something missing in our medical understanding of this creature. They are so contagious yet some people don't get them and some people can't get rid of them -there has to be a reason for this. Personally I suspect people without them have an as yet unknown digestive enzyme that destroys them, and people who can't get rid of them are lacking this enzyme.  
The bastards just won't die. I have cried and cried, my husband thinks I am dirty.  They are disgusting.  I have used Pin-X 4 times now and I get real sick everytime, I dread it.  I have no clue where I could have picked them up at.  When it first started I was  rnauseous almost everyday for about a month.  I thought I might have been pregnant, so I took pregnancy test after pregnancy test.  My doctor couldn't even figure out what it was!  Soon after, I discovered a worm.  I absolutely panicked.  It took me two weeks to tell my husband, and I got the reaction I thought I was going to get: repulsion.  I have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, and about 30 minutes to an hour later, they are on my underwear without even itching or feeling them.  I just don't understand, and apparently from reading what you guys have to say, doctors are so stupid!!!  I really feel for you guys, as I too can relate.  I have found myself feeling angrier and more hopeless because they always return over and over and they too return angrier.  I read on WebMD that you can either treat them with medication or just wait, I guess they "Only live inside you for 16 weeks".  Waiting my ***!  They just mutliply like rabbits!  Please leave me feedback. Thx.

--Hopeless
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem