can't get rid of pinworms

I can't get rid of pinworms. Have had them for 8 years now.  I have taken many prescriptions and over the counter meds and home remedies.  Now my rectum hurts.  Need advice on getting rid of these horrible things.  I'm fed up!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My entire family did two (three day/twice daily) courses of Mebednazole space 12 days apart. My this time we had been practicing immaculate hygiene and had the house professionally cleaned twice and all the carpets and sofas steam cleaned professionally. After that we did papaya seed smoothies (fresh papayas ONLY) for one week and followed up with 6 weeks of Crushed Clove Bud Herb at every meal and also garlic gel-tabs.  During this time we carefully removed our sleeping garments (tight fitting underpants ALONG WITH cuffed sweatpants) every morning and scrubbed our bums with soap, water, and each a clean, scrubby cloth.  Since then, I think it was last April, we have had NO FURTHER infestation.

I just wonder if those who think they are the only ones affected in their households are insisting EVERYONE follow the same rigorous hygiene and herb/drug therapies they are. Just because you can't feel them, doesn't mean they aren't there. Many adults don't feel them at all.  If ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE are not following the same guidelines, they are likely spreading eggs everywhere and YOU, dear sufferer, are simply reinfecting yourself. Everyone is likely infected, not just you.  If even a single egg makes it back into your intestinal tract, you will become afflicted again.  Sorry for that bad news, but it is very true.  Be vigilant, you CAN get rid of them.
Helpful - 2
I am trying your method, but I had to get animal albenza, called valbazen. Tomorrow will be my 10th day, I feel an improvement but if I am thinking of taking it for 14 days, lay off 2 weeks and then again just to make sure...I have a question? does anybody feel a pinching in your feet, toes, hands fingers, like something is in there moving or pinching?.. If this works I will let you guys know..
Helpful - 1
Wormazol helped me only the baby eggs aren't killed so u have to take another doze about 10 after first when they hatch..but since they come back I think (if your health permits) just take it continual...for...a good 3 to 5 weeks. Some may be more Hardy then others against the drug. Another type deworm medicine suggest the long ordeal...it seems to have done it..but if not .do it longer. They will get fed up in time and die, I say.
Wormazol helped me only the baby eggs arent killed so u have to take another doze about 10 days after first when they hatch..but since they come back I think (if your health permits) just take it continual...for...a good 3 to 5 weeks. Some may be more Hardy then others against the drug. Another type deworm medicine suggest the long ordeal...it seems to have done it..but if not .do it longer. They will get fed up in time and die, I say.
this might help...
yesterday I took 4 Apple Cider Vinegar pills,'
1 cup of shredded unsweetened COCONUT --munched on
all day... also 20 pumpkin seeds with the shells.
4 cups of green tea and 2 cups of chai tea -- and crushed in 1 tsp of cloves.
On a empty stomach -- soo I started early in the morning
Took me all day.
around 7 pm I ate some dinner.
I did have 1 glass of red wine. ( not sure if this helped ?)

I am sooo sick of cleaning ...so  I JUST threw all my clean comforters in the
dryer for 1 hr ( heat ) and changed my sheets.
Spent ½ hr ironing the clothes I wore.
I turned up my furnace in the house.. which I heard kills all the
eggs in the house.

Everything stopped ! by 8 pm.
Not a sign of any movement/crawling anywhere on my body.
( -- I did have a instant 1 time (diarrhea) trip to the bathroom around
9 pm ) try to be close to a washroom.

I am on the same routine today,,, and will continue for the
next 4 weeks...
Hope this helps.
Helpful - 1
Hello everyone! Wow. This is absolutely insane what we are all dealing, struggling, and ultimately SUFFERING with. So many past memories run through my head of when I didn't have them and I am so grateful for them even if they didn't seem so great at the time. Five years. Five years I have been dealing with pinworms. I caught them from someone I was living with. Symptoms starting with intense vaginal itching in the creases and it was brutal. The first doctor I went to mentioned pinworms and to take a clear piece of scotch tape and apply it on the anus at night and I would see them. Did that, saw nothing so I didn't think I had them. As time went on symptoms got much worse. Doctor to Doctor. False negative stool and specific testings for pinworms which is called the paddle test. Finally, two months ago I got my diagnose that I have pinworms. The symptoms were so bad that I basically stopped eating and one day after work, I had the intense anal itching, scraping feeling and I caught them on video!! All it took was that as proof along with a picture. How crazy is all this? Treatment plan currently is Albenza, herbal tinctures, suppositories (although I discontinued because I heard that the can lay eggs inside you if you apply anything down there??), black walnut, wormwood, grinded up cloves to make into a tea and drink to kill any that are in my small intestines, walnuts to consume, garlic (about 10-12 per day), probiotics with enzymes, carrots, beans, kale, spinach, quinoa, and I recently stumbled upon MSM which is a dietary sulfur that creates a barrier in your intestinal lining and the parasites where they are unable to cling on to you to survive (we will see) I know there was a study done in mice who had pinworms and they were given this and in 17 days they determined that they no longer had the works of eggs. Doesn't that sound pleasant? Oh man. Talk about excruciating and time consuming and feeling helpless. It's nice to know you are not alone as last night, after 2 days of not feeling them, I felt 3 and then just about gave up and was going to go to bed (thankfully I didn't because if I did a nasty, good size spider ran across my sheet on the ground and if I had my lights off and was sleeping, not only am I dealing with these monsters inside me but hey, now I have spider babies in my ears! Yay! Haha, anything can happen, right? ;) But no, I am so glad to have found this forum and I really hope I can reach out to some of you, and have a response. I wish there was a cute, and an answer for all of us who are going through this. I am so sorry this exists and I can honestly say this is NO way to live. Let's put our heads together and help each other with anything that works for one might work for another! Thank you for reading and God bless.
Helpful - 1
ATTENTION ANYONE EXPERIENCE ITCHING:

You have parasites! Almost 95% of people have some sort of parasite. These parasites breed, and make hundreds to thousands of eggs per day! Sugars, natural or artificial, seem to feed the parasites, creating candida. If you have allergies or suffer from post-nasal drip  (like I do), and have the sensation of mucus or "something stuck in the back of your throat", these are parasites "coming down to feed" on the sugars, dairy, and other mucus-forming foods you consume.

Let me list the ailments I’ve noticed, just in my own health struggles, over the last 20+ years: dry, itchy scalp (NOT dandruff, but I NOW know they’re demodex mites), thinning hair (or bald spots), allergies, sinus issues (PND), “cluster” and migraine headaches, eye floaters, visual disturbances, acne, occasional lesions, occasional ringworm & small white spots that appear randomly over the body (caused by what I NOW know is a skin fungus), easy bruising, anemia, constant weight gain (even when not eating much), itchy skin (especially on the lower legs), abdominal pain/gas/boating/IBS symptoms, vaginal/rectal itching (especially at night), depression/mood swings/memory lapses, body odor/bad breath, and nail fungus.

Most of the time, these parasites are "stealing" the nutrients from your foods, to feed and protect themselves in your body, leading to issues like abdominal discomfort, IBS/Crohn's, Diabetes, Anemia, easy bruising, Cancer, and other ailments.

Unless you go to a holistic or naturopathic doctor, your stool samples, and other blood tests will MAGICALLY turn up "negative". WHY YOU ASK??? Because the medical profession NEEDS you to keep coming in for unnecessary tests and medications, TO KEEP YOU SICK! It's more profitable for the FDA and Big Pharma, to keep one believing that something is wrong with them (whether gastro issues, psych issues, or other more serious illnesses and diseases), than to CURE YOU of your issues!!

I have parasites. LOTS OF THEM! I have been to several doctors that just write off anything you say, but are quick to order medications and other unnecessary (expensive) tests that DON'T WORK! I'm also a nurse (for over 35 years), and don't take one's word as gospel, until AFTER I do my own research.

In my research, I found an interesting link between parasites, an overabundance of candida, and various health issues. I’m an avid gardener, love sushi, grew up eating pork products, have always had pets (that I kissed often, and allowed on my bed regularly), had pinworms as a child (that I THOUGHT had been treated), and as an Emergency Room nurse, tended not to eat the best diet (I’ll admit). Yep, I fit the bill for parasite infestation.
I decided (after the last physician treated me like I was ignorant) to order natural supplements (from Amazon) to rid myself of any parasites. BTW, don’t bother buying anything for a candida cleanse (like I did) because until you rid the body of parasites, the candida won’t be eliminated. This candida buildup creates the “perfect storm” for various diseases and illnesses, including cancers, diabetes, lupus, multiple sclerosis, IBS, Crohn’s disease, yeast infections, etc.

I ordered Dr. Clark's Super W Blend (which contains Wormwood, a POWERFUL anti-parasitic); Organic Cloves; and GREEN Black Walnut Hulls TINCTURE (Black Walnut Hulls capsules are fine, but the liquid GREEN Black walnut TINCTURE is far more effective. TRUST ME ON THIS).

I kid you not; by the second day, I passed worms. Clear, (sometimes white) stringy worms (pinworms) and tons of egg larvae, were in my stools. And, my stools were NORMAL stools; I wasn’t having diarrhea or constipation. Just an incredible urge to go to the bathroom! Sometimes, I went to the bathroom more than 4 times a day! The Super W Blend and Green Black walnut tincture kills the adult worms, and the Cloves kill any egg larvae.

I couldn't believe my eyes! But I was even more focused to get these things out of my body! I even brought in a stool sample that anyone, even those with slight intelligence, could glance at quickly, and KNOW something was wrong. But guess what?? The tests for Ova & Parasites, came back negative. WTF??

So I stopped going to doctors, because I now KNOW what the real deal is. If you want to rid yourself of these issues, you must be PROACTIVE in YOUR OWN HEALTHCARE!!

I will say that once you start this protocol, YOU MUST CONTINUE AT ALL COSTS! If you stop, the parasites regroup, and you experience even MORE issues!  I must tell you, however, that you’ll feel worse before you feel better. I went through the sensation of “things crawling all over my body”. These are the parasites knowing they’re under attack, dying, and releasing their toxins, which poison the blood and leads to intense night sweats, increased body odor/bad breath, and insomnia (especially between the hours of 2-3am). You may have also noticed these worms become MORE ACTIVE around the time of the full moon. For the sinus/PND issues, I also added Oil of Oregano capsules; take 1 capsule 3x/day. For immediate relief of that sensation of “something stuck in the back of my throat”, I break one of the capsules in my mouth, and allow the oil to slowly go down my throat. The oil burns, but it kills worms “coming down to feast”. NEVER swallow the mucus! Cough it up and spit it out! Swallowing the mucus (which contain worms & their larvae) goes to your intestines, to begin their lifecycle all over again!

Stay away from any sugars (even natural sugar), dairy, grains, white flour, white rice, white bread (they convert to sugar in the body, thus feeding the parasites), and any mucus-causing foods, as much as you possibly can. Buy Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, and put 1 TBSP in water (or another drink) and have that once or twice per day. Be SURE to drink PLENTY of fluids afterwards, as DE tends to constipate you. The DE are tiny, microscopic fresh water diatoms, that under a microscope looks like Chex mix; their edges are sharp, and shred the parasite’s body, rendering them helpless (or killing them), so they can be easily flushed from the body with the other products mentioned earlier. The DE also has other benefits: can be used in a home-made toothpaste (to re-mineralize teeth); for pest control (in and outside of the home, so lose your pest control company fees ☺); can be mixed into pet’s food to kill parasites in their bodies, as well as rubbed into their coats to kill fleas and other parasites, amongst other benefits!

****FOR THE ITCHING: Tea Tree Oil body washes! I run a bath (with the water as hot as I can stand), put a few squirts of this into my water (along with Epsom salt, I find parasites cannot stand this!) and sit/soak for at least 20 minutes. NO MORE ITCHING (for that day at least). Change all bed linens and wash your clothes daily. Vacuum resting spaces DAILY. DO NOT KISS, or allow pets onto your bed. Be sure to treat EVERYONE in your household, as its more than likely, they’re infected too.

This is working for me. I hope and pray that this helps others.
Helpful - 1
Wow I have been trying a few of the things you suggested here but I will have to try your remedy for the feeling of mucus in my throat that just won't swallow down..thank you so much for sharing all of this, I have been researching pinworms for the past two weeks (since I tested + for pinworms) & im ready to fight for my health back!  The past 3 years I've battled with anxiety, depression, dizziness, fatigue, etc to the point where I quit my career as a teacher.  The past 5 years, I've battled toenail fungus, candida on my skin, constipation, flaky scalp as you described, eye floaters, etc, and I just never made the connections...thank you again and I pray you are still well!
Ty for the share very helpful- what can young kids take as a natural mild remedy for possible parisites? And how much de for pets? Tyia
Hi nurse2helpu ty for all this bery heloful info- wondering safe mild remedy for possible microparasites in 5yr old and safe DE for pets?
I have had digestive issues an just - recently started feeling itching wiggling feelings- so doing a cleanse started with garlic, now green smoothies, teas, carrot juice and salad, eos in teas or wster clove oregano tea tree and also coconut oil with eos for itchy areas..
Feel a slow down of feeling but still there - will buy green tincture tomorrow.  Anything else pls share will try epson
I agree that the Oregano oil is a good bet not only for nasal worms, but also for intestinal worms. It is probably more effective than Tea Tree oil, and much safer to consume. I also apply Oregano oil to my ears. The buggers seem to get into the ear canal as well. The Oregano oil is very effective at keeping them out of the ear canal.
Virgin Coconut oil, is also a good one to apply directly to the nasal passages, and to the ears. This oil, unlike so many others, does not burn or irritate the skin. I use a Q-tip for the application.
I sure hope you found out soon after your post that you put a drop or two of tea tree oil.  A teaspoon of it would have very bad health consequences as it is toxic!
Helpful - 1
could you pls tell me where to buy tea tree oil for drinking? or what kind of tea tree oil did you use? I wanna order it through Amazon.com
Lol.  I meant to say that I can't get rid of the pinworms- not the kids. :)  It is very frustrating to battle this and I question why in the world these little worm bastards even exist.  I did papya seeds a few times and had some larger worms come out with that.  I think I will start adding papain capsules to my DE routine....  Someone had mentioned black specks in the stool- I have seen that as well.  Someone also mentioned feeling sensations of movement at the panty line- I get that too.  Also the short strands (that move!) that stand up on the underwear and the toilet paper/wet wipe when I wipe.  It's infuriating.  It really makes you question your sanity.  
Helpful - 1
I feel ya.  I am a single mom to FOUR and I can't get rid of them.  I have been taking diatomaceous earth for myself for almost three weeks-  just got to a tablespoon a day dosage.  I was feeling so much better and now the worms seem to have come back!  I have an ex husband that is in denial, and I don't have much help enforcing hygiene.  I have become the hygiene police, and I am making everyone around me miserable.  I have tried PinX and Albenza.  Both failed.  
Helpful - 1
this is a frustrating thing ! My docs tell me I have "dandrift" or "dry skin flakes" or they look at me like Iam an alien! My mom who I had to move back in with , she thinks Iam completly crazy or on drugs when I describe what Iam feeling or seeing on me!  Grrrrrrr !!!!
I know this is a crazy idea, but it doesn't seem like many other suggestions seem to be working to completely cure pinworms.  I'll start off by saying that my son has had them for 2 months.  We've taken a dose of PinX and 2 doses of Albenza.  He just started to complain of itching again (about two weeks after last dose).  How you wondered why pinworms thrive in some digestive systems more than others?  There has to be a reason.  We've followed the hygiene routine just as advised…just like many of you.  There has to be a reason.  My crazy idea: nobody wants to talk about our problem because it's embarrassing, so why not get someone else to? I just wrote to CNN and Fox News.  They have, in the Contact Us section, a link to report a news story.  The inability of some to rid themselves of pinworms is a story that should be covered!  Doctors shrug their shoulders and are no help, so maybe there is somebody out there that is wise enough to do the proper research and help so many who are suffering.  If enough people write about it, maybe it will be covered.  Flood all news stations (even local ones).  We obviously aren't doing much good with our our remedies, so let's put our fingers to work and write people who have a voice (or are willing to use it since we're too embarrassed to speak up in that manner).  I hope others will follow suit!  Good luck to all!!
Helpful - 1
Take Charcoal Tablets to kill in intestines works great. However what to do about killing them under ones skin? What a pain this is!!! Some relief by using Dr. Ben Evicter regularly after baths and when itchy...ccoconut oil  & aloe vera gel gives some relief.
Putting lemon juice into your water will help with alkaline. I sip Deer Park water all day because you are correct this is very important along with taking immune boosting supplements.
Helpful - 0
*** Just to let you know that the full strength clove oil does burn!.** I let it sit for about 10 seconds and wiped it off. Some remained because I am currently itch free.I'd rather have a few seconds of burning than a night of itching.The second time I used it on my rectum, it burned but I let it stay and then the burning stopped.You can dilute it with water but I think oil is better. Mix it to the strength you can take. Remember to keep using the clove oil under your nails and around the nail bed to kill the eggs. Spray the bed sheet with the Eradicator( or product containing pyrethrum) to kill the eggs before removing them from the bed. Shaking the sheet will only launch the egg into the air. I recommend spraying the entire house, pay attention especially things like doorknobs, keyboards and things you usually touch. I would also use some of the oil(mixed or not) inside the ears and around the nostrils. The eggs can be transported anywhere...we all probably have scratched in our sleep and touched parts of our faces.
Helpful - 0
I wanted to make sure that people are aware that having a vaginal itch with no discharge in addition to the anal itch is quite common with females that are infected by pinworms. I tried diflucan and other vaginal remedies that never worked.I had felt a creepy crawly sensation below  with intense night time itching . I kept trying to check but saw nothing. It was only when I understood that pinworms are also known as thread worms because they look like little bits of white or translucent thread that I knew I was infested. Take a bath before bed, wait for the itching and take a pice of tape and press it against your anus. You'll see them moving on it . Prior to that , I thought they were fibers from my panties or toilet paper fibers. I took Pin-X and got some relieve but it came back. During this time I finally saw a couple of them move. YUCKKK!!!! Anywho , get a prescription or the OTC remedy.  I am also taking the 20 drops of Black walnut tincture, the wormwood and eating garlic(or garlic pills). I am covering all my bases. NO PRISONERS!!!! Don't forget to use the Eradicator or any other spray containing the pyrethrum that's safe for home use in conjunction with coating under your nails and fingertips with clove oil. I carry it with me everywhere.  GNC , the Vitamin Shoppe and health foods  sell the clove oil and perhaps  the other things as well.. I ordered all mine online but couldn't wait a  day longer so I bought the clove oil at GNC .Give me some feedback and let me know if you guys had any luck.
Helpful - 0
Did you get rid of your pinworm infestation?
Did any of you notice small black fibre-like things on your pants too? This sounds similar to what a friend of mine has, and she is really tortured by it too! Or small cotton wool-like nests?
Helpful - 0
Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade, of course)!
If you have pinworms, THIS IS A MUST! Look it up online.
Forget the OTC drugs, even the Vermoxx is questionable.
I believe these parasites have overtime become immune
to these drugs. The great thing about the DE is you can take it daily
until the entire life cycle of the eggs to adult has run it's course. You can
even continue to take this as it a great source of minerals!
Helpful - 0
Took vermox twice. outside the states the course includes the tablet twice daily for three days. Still feel the creepy crawlers. Funny there's no itch, just a 'bite' late afternoon.  i did however get a bad wave of perianal and vaginal itching at first and that's how i realised i had the infection. Stupid me. i was renting with a family and knew the little daughter had the infection and even though i'm a doctor i didn't bother to take preventive measures.
All i can say is that resistance is a scientific fact. my mother is african and claims that pumkin seeds are an ancient age old remedy that was always used by our ancestors. lets face it, these worms always existed but vermox didnt. and for the fact, the human race isn't all infected therefore the treatments of the past did work. She also mentioned garlic which is in its chemical composition an antiseptic. cloves as well. And honey has a glorious history of working wonders. Please do not use therapies that cause local irritation. the skin is already iritated and has had enough. Try to use milder forms but be persistent about it. it's a shame i couldn't find any scientific research to suggest the best therapy. Nobody will fund garlic anti-pinworm research.. yet!
good luck to all of us and remember the palcebo effect works 30% of the whole therapy effct, so keep it positive!
Helpful - 0
Ugh! Pinworms! Again! I am only thirteen years old and i have had pinworms on and off for about two years now. When i first got them it was during the summer when i was only 11. I itched and itched all night, too embarrased to tell my mom. I hate when i cant get a good night sleep. Now i noticed when i put pressure on my bottom they seem to quite moving. I cant even be active anymore without the itching. My mom bought me Conbactrin or something like that and it was like 20 dollars. But that was expensive to her and she didnt even think i had them even though i could pull them out of my bottom. Gross! I got them again 2 months later. And i have just keep getting them every two months since then, My mom is getting tired of buying medication for me. Back when i was eleven they would just dissapear. But now i dont know what to do anymore. They keep comming back! GRRRRRR! I am gonna try the suggestions from BlahBlah88. Thanks everyone. It means alot. I know what your going through. They make me wanna swear so bad!!!! UGGHHH!!!!!! Hopefully it works :)
Helpful - 0
Ok...after doing almost ALL of these interventions, I did the unthinkable.  I did a garlic douche and then *gasp* a garlic enema using tap water & garlic powder.  I slept the whole night after!  I also drank a small glass of water with garlic powder in it each morning & each afternoon.  It doesn't really have any taste, just the smell, which I GLADLY tolerated to get rid of these little bast***s.   I turned on ALL the lights in the house & washed the sheets every few days.  I even ironed the sheets while they were on the bed as soon as I got home from work.  I was desperate (quite obviously), but these things seemed to work.  Good luck.  All I can think is that God had a bizarre sense of humor when creating them, but all I want is for them to DIE!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Pinworms are not easy to get rid of.  Some people need a lot more medication for a longer time.  You can order Vermox online.  Do a search online using the key words:   1564827 ICU    .  Look at the first link that comes up.  I had the same problem for months and this worked for me.  Remember that the medications must be chewed and taken with a fatty meal to be absorbed properly.
Helpful - 0
I've been dealing with this for over 3yrs.   I found them on myself the first three times and then on my daughter the last 3 times and once on my son.  It  happens every 3-4 months.  They are impossible to get rid of.  I have 3 children which go back and forth from my house to their dads.  I'm on them all the time about washing there hands.  They wash when they get up, before they eat anything and when they come in from being outside.  I have thoroughly cleaned my house everytime I find them.  I do a 8 to 10 hour cleaning.  I try to clean everything and anything they come into contact with.  But how do you clean books and papers and how about anything they may touch at school.  I can't clean their desks.  It's impossible.  I've even washed the walls, lamps, every light switch and door knob.  My vehicles, my dog and anything the dog may have touched...but they just keep coming back.  Is there anything that kills the eggs.  I need help.  I can't keep cleaning like this.  My laundry machines are going continuously.  My water bill is nuts.  My nine year old has been showering every morning for 5 months.  This is crazy.  I throw my hands up and say they won.  They are going to be part of my family.  I may even name them.  I there is anything out there to get rid of them please let me know.  I do believe that it is going to be impossible with kids.  They come into contact with so many other children I think they just keep re infecting each other.  Thanks
Helpful - 0
I truly empathize with you all. Pinworms are gross and annoying. The worst part is that we seem to suffer alone and the Doctors have no idea how to help us. I have been through everything - the vermox, herbal remedies, colon cleanses etc. Nothing lasts forever, if you are one of the unlucky ones who just seems to pick up the eggs out of nowhere - it makes me wanna scream, i presume the same is for you guys.......!? What has helped for me is using garlic capsules as suppositories every night - use a little olive oil to help it in. Yes it burns like hell but its worth it. I also take the capsules orally. In order to avoid infection, it it vital to take probiotics and digestive enzymes- one that is high in protease, an enzyme which helps digest proteins. I reccomend Digest Gold by Enzymedica. There is no magical answer, as of yet I am still  to find the guaranteed supplements to avoid getting infected. The cleaning can make you paranoid. Face facts the eggs are there and there is no avoiding them. The only thing we can do is help our bodies get rid of the eggs without them hatching inside us. MSM powder is also helpfull since it stops anything from sticking to the colon walls.
Good luck waging war, I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Wow...I am amazed at how many reponses I've gotten since my original post!  I quit checking this forum because I wasn't getting reponses and when I checked today for the first time in a very long time I was happy and sad at the same time.  HAPPY that we are not CRAZY thinking we are the only ones dealing with the pinworms and at the same time  SAD that we are not the only ones dealing with the pinworms.  (If that makes any sense).

OK...here is my story.
Oddly enough I remember the very night I felt one for the first time. It was Nov. 4, 2001.  I was laying in bed reading a Harry Potter book and I felt one wiggling.  I panicked a little but said nothing to my husband who was laying next to me because I thought he would think I was nasty.  I thought, I'll call the pediatrician and get some pills to treat my whole family and be done with it and never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be sitting at my computer in this forum many years later still trying to get help.

Oddly enough my husband has never gotten them.  We sleep in the same bed we use the same shower but use separate commodes.  My youngest daughter, now 16,  use to be able to get ride of them.  Through the years she might have gotten them maybe 3 times but the medicines always worked for her.  This year,  They aren't working for her . They for some reason are becoming resistant to medicines in her body(mebendazole, pinx).  My oldest daughter and myself have never been able to get rid of them.

We are very clean.  we never eat with out washing our hands. we change sheets every 3 days or so....so on and so on and so on.

OK...now ...What's my opinion of doctors?  The first 4 years of dealing with this I went to 5 different doctors: A pediatrician, 2 general doctors and 2 gastrointestinal doctors. After being prescribed mebendazole after mebendazole I finally gave up seeking help from them.  When I would tell them that the meds were not working they literally would look at me like I was crazy and bluntly tell me that they work and there is nothing else to prescribe. And that there are no other researches being done for new drugs because these meds work.  I'm sure there are some really good caring doctors out there but I haven't found one yet.  The ones I have delt with are smug and condiscending and down right don't care about us.  They simply wash there hands of us.  

After I realized I would have to find a cure on my own (with no luck), several years went by, until last year I simply was just not feeling well.  I decided to go to the doctor and reluctantly told him about our issue. He then sent us to a different gastrointerologist.  My daughter and I both had an endoscopy and and a colonoscopy. But he found no pinworms in our colon which I believed the colon cleanser prep that we had to take washed out the ones visible to the naked eye.  So because he didn't see anything he won't try to treat us for it even though he mentioned before the colonoscopy that there are parasitic drugs that he could get across the border.  I told him to get my lab results from my last doctor who diagnosed the worm in 2005  but he wouldn't do it.  I don't understand why.  

And once again we are on our own to try to find a cure.  I have been watching that New TV series Monsters Inside Me to maybe gather some information about different types of medications.

We have tried many many different things herbal and of course nothing has worked. I hope that one day we can make doctors wake up and realize what is going on.  One of the problems I think is is that they are all in denial.  I guess one way to wake them up to this epidemic is to hand them a handful of eggs and see if they can get rid of it themselves.  (just kidding)  I would never do that but It has crossed my mind.  I have to find some humor in this.  Good Luck to everyone here.  And If you find a cure please let us know.  
Sorry for being so long winded!
Helpful - 0
Gah! Hello, I am Olivia, and I am only 13. Pinworms are the reason for my paranoia. I've had them for three and a half years on and off. I've gone to "doctors" who say these stupid meds will work, but nope. I've taken Reece's Pinworm Medicine and others so many times!!! I've also taken on the job of cleaning every nook and cranny of my room. I even cut my nails that I loved, but that's no big deal. It doesn't help I fear many things... So I cry myself to sleep. Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm not alone.
I wanted to add a few more things...

To: GRAYAM......when one of the doctors acted like I was just imagining things I explained to him that I can feel them wiggling down my legs and up my back and on my buttom he just shrugged his shoulders.....I also have wished in the past that I would catch the flu because i thought that maybe if my body temperature went up it might kill them because they can't handle temperature change.  (wishful thinking).  Hang in there!

To: HOPELESS080780.....I have done my share of crying to....It's a horrible thing to have to be going through and especially if your children are infested as well.  My oldest daughter had to go through high school and all of her college life with it....It has really affected her social life and self esteem.  I live in a small town and I worry about who is going to find out.  I wonder how many people in this small town are dealing with it as well.  I've read on the internet that sometimes they simply just go away.   That is a laugh.  Obviously the people who write those articles have never had to deal with this.

To: SUGARBEET.......We have taken the Diatomacious Earth food grade and it didn't work for us but I was in another forum back in 2002 that was started by someone else.  A woman in that forum tried it and it worked for her for some reason.  What everyone needs to know about DE is that you have to be careful about inhaling because it can act like asbestos to your lungs.  Thanks for your imput!!

To: KH07.....My heart goes out to you being so young.  It's one thing me going through this at my age but to see a child going through this is terrible.  Maybe one day we'll get this fixed!!!!  Hang in there!!

To: SICKOFIT08.....A good name for them could be a**holes. I have named them a few times myself.  At times I think we will just have to live with them.  Then I get my second wind and start fighting again and doing research.  As far as the cleaning goes I'm not as crazy as I used to be.  It use to make me frantic.  I just focus on the main things like the floors and sheets and good hand washing. I rub clorox cleanup on the toilet seat in the mornings after our showers. I fill the tubs up with scalding hot tap water a few inches just to kill that nights eggs.  It keeps me from having to be around so many harmful cleaners.  I don't let my girls sit on the furniture in short shorts and things like that.  Nobody does the laundry but me that way I know there is no cross contaminations.  

To: AFELLOWSUFFERER......I actually started taking a probiotic called Acidophilus.  Each pill has 1 Billion good bacteria in it.  My daughter and I have started feeling better.  The worms are deficating inside of you and can cause you to feel ill.  You can get Acidophilus at walmart at the herbal vitamins for anyone who is interested.  I also started taking a melatonin that you can get there as well.  I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems to calm them down somewhat and I can get a few hours good night sleep.

To everyone in this forum please keep in touch.  thanks

Helpful - 0
I came because I can't get rid of the pinworm, I also have end stage Lyme and it is like the invasion of the body snatchers!!
Grayam you mentioned you suspect a lack of digestiv eenyzymes might be the problem. I know that a lack of hydrocloric acid will cause candida albican so I did a search and sure enough a lack of HCI wll cause parasite and worms to grow.
You can buy this over the counter and just experiment with the dose. I did when I was first tested then kept forgetting to take it- Lyme brain - but sure won't now. Thanks for the memory jog and good luck
Helpful - 0
and strict diet.  
I did more reseach on the pinworm eggs and found we need to add HCI and digestive enyzmes to kill the parasites and eggs in the digesstive tract. Plus a diet of absolutly no carbs exept from vegatables. I had read where grains and some carbs are fine but apparently not- only from vegatables. So, it would be a diet of meat and veggies. Sure worth a try. And thanks you to everyone here for the information
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem