can't get rid of pinworms

I can't get rid of pinworms. Have had them for 8 years now.  I have taken many prescriptions and over the counter meds and home remedies.  Now my rectum hurts.  Need advice on getting rid of these horrible things.  I'm fed up!!
I've been dealing with this for over 3yrs.   I found them on myself the first three times and then on my daughter the last 3 times and once on my son.  It  happens every 3-4 months.  They are impossible to get rid of.  I have 3 children which go back and forth from my house to their dads.  I'm on them all the time about washing there hands.  They wash when they get up, before they eat anything and when they come in from being outside.  I have thoroughly cleaned my house everytime I find them.  I do a 8 to 10 hour cleaning.  I try to clean everything and anything they come into contact with.  But how do you clean books and papers and how about anything they may touch at school.  I can't clean their desks.  It's impossible.  I've even washed the walls, lamps, every light switch and door knob.  My vehicles, my dog and anything the dog may have touched...but they just keep coming back.  Is there anything that kills the eggs.  I need help.  I can't keep cleaning like this.  My laundry machines are going continuously.  My water bill is nuts.  My nine year old has been showering every morning for 5 months.  This is crazy.  I throw my hands up and say they won.  They are going to be part of my family.  I may even name them.  I there is anything out there to get rid of them please let me know.  I do believe that it is going to be impossible with kids.  They come into contact with so many other children I think they just keep re infecting each other.  Thanks
I truly empathize with you all. Pinworms are gross and annoying. The worst part is that we seem to suffer alone and the Doctors have no idea how to help us. I have been through everything - the vermox, herbal remedies, colon cleanses etc. Nothing lasts forever, if you are one of the unlucky ones who just seems to pick up the eggs out of nowhere - it makes me wanna scream, i presume the same is for you guys.......!? What has helped for me is using garlic capsules as suppositories every night - use a little olive oil to help it in. Yes it burns like hell but its worth it. I also take the capsules orally. In order to avoid infection, it it vital to take probiotics and digestive enzymes- one that is high in protease, an enzyme which helps digest proteins. I reccomend Digest Gold by Enzymedica. There is no magical answer, as of yet I am still  to find the guaranteed supplements to avoid getting infected. The cleaning can make you paranoid. Face facts the eggs are there and there is no avoiding them. The only thing we can do is help our bodies get rid of the eggs without them hatching inside us. MSM powder is also helpfull since it stops anything from sticking to the colon walls.
Good luck waging war, I hope this helps.
Wow...I am amazed at how many reponses I've gotten since my original post!  I quit checking this forum because I wasn't getting reponses and when I checked today for the first time in a very long time I was happy and sad at the same time.  HAPPY that we are not CRAZY thinking we are the only ones dealing with the pinworms and at the same time  SAD that we are not the only ones dealing with the pinworms.  (If that makes any sense).

OK...here is my story.
Oddly enough I remember the very night I felt one for the first time. It was Nov. 4, 2001.  I was laying in bed reading a Harry Potter book and I felt one wiggling.  I panicked a little but said nothing to my husband who was laying next to me because I thought he would think I was nasty.  I thought, I'll call the pediatrician and get some pills to treat my whole family and be done with it and never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be sitting at my computer in this forum many years later still trying to get help.

Oddly enough my husband has never gotten them.  We sleep in the same bed we use the same shower but use separate commodes.  My youngest daughter, now 16,  use to be able to get ride of them.  Through the years she might have gotten them maybe 3 times but the medicines always worked for her.  This year,  They aren't working for her . They for some reason are becoming resistant to medicines in her body(mebendazole, pinx).  My oldest daughter and myself have never been able to get rid of them.

We are very clean.  we never eat with out washing our hands. we change sheets every 3 days or so....so on and so on and so on.

OK...now ...What's my opinion of doctors?  The first 4 years of dealing with this I went to 5 different doctors: A pediatrician, 2 general doctors and 2 gastrointestinal doctors. After being prescribed mebendazole after mebendazole I finally gave up seeking help from them.  When I would tell them that the meds were not working they literally would look at me like I was crazy and bluntly tell me that they work and there is nothing else to prescribe. And that there are no other researches being done for new drugs because these meds work.  I'm sure there are some really good caring doctors out there but I haven't found one yet.  The ones I have delt with are smug and condiscending and down right don't care about us.  They simply wash there hands of us.  

After I realized I would have to find a cure on my own (with no luck), several years went by, until last year I simply was just not feeling well.  I decided to go to the doctor and reluctantly told him about our issue. He then sent us to a different gastrointerologist.  My daughter and I both had an endoscopy and and a colonoscopy. But he found no pinworms in our colon which I believed the colon cleanser prep that we had to take washed out the ones visible to the naked eye.  So because he didn't see anything he won't try to treat us for it even though he mentioned before the colonoscopy that there are parasitic drugs that he could get across the border.  I told him to get my lab results from my last doctor who diagnosed the worm in 2005  but he wouldn't do it.  I don't understand why.  

And once again we are on our own to try to find a cure.  I have been watching that New TV series Monsters Inside Me to maybe gather some information about different types of medications.

We have tried many many different things herbal and of course nothing has worked. I hope that one day we can make doctors wake up and realize what is going on.  One of the problems I think is is that they are all in denial.  I guess one way to wake them up to this epidemic is to hand them a handful of eggs and see if they can get rid of it themselves.  (just kidding)  I would never do that but It has crossed my mind.  I have to find some humor in this.  Good Luck to everyone here.  And If you find a cure please let us know.  
Sorry for being so long winded!
Gah! Hello, I am Olivia, and I am only 13. Pinworms are the reason for my paranoia. I've had them for three and a half years on and off. I've gone to "doctors" who say these stupid meds will work, but nope. I've taken Reece's Pinworm Medicine and others so many times!!! I've also taken on the job of cleaning every nook and cranny of my room. I even cut my nails that I loved, but that's no big deal. It doesn't help I fear many things... So I cry myself to sleep. Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm not alone.
I wanted to add a few more things...

To: GRAYAM......when one of the doctors acted like I was just imagining things I explained to him that I can feel them wiggling down my legs and up my back and on my buttom he just shrugged his shoulders.....I also have wished in the past that I would catch the flu because i thought that maybe if my body temperature went up it might kill them because they can't handle temperature change.  (wishful thinking).  Hang in there!

To: HOPELESS080780.....I have done my share of crying to....It's a horrible thing to have to be going through and especially if your children are infested as well.  My oldest daughter had to go through high school and all of her college life with it....It has really affected her social life and self esteem.  I live in a small town and I worry about who is going to find out.  I wonder how many people in this small town are dealing with it as well.  I've read on the internet that sometimes they simply just go away.   That is a laugh.  Obviously the people who write those articles have never had to deal with this.

To: SUGARBEET.......We have taken the Diatomacious Earth food grade and it didn't work for us but I was in another forum back in 2002 that was started by someone else.  A woman in that forum tried it and it worked for her for some reason.  What everyone needs to know about DE is that you have to be careful about inhaling because it can act like asbestos to your lungs.  Thanks for your imput!!

To: KH07.....My heart goes out to you being so young.  It's one thing me going through this at my age but to see a child going through this is terrible.  Maybe one day we'll get this fixed!!!!  Hang in there!!

To: SICKOFIT08.....A good name for them could be a**holes. I have named them a few times myself.  At times I think we will just have to live with them.  Then I get my second wind and start fighting again and doing research.  As far as the cleaning goes I'm not as crazy as I used to be.  It use to make me frantic.  I just focus on the main things like the floors and sheets and good hand washing. I rub clorox cleanup on the toilet seat in the mornings after our showers. I fill the tubs up with scalding hot tap water a few inches just to kill that nights eggs.  It keeps me from having to be around so many harmful cleaners.  I don't let my girls sit on the furniture in short shorts and things like that.  Nobody does the laundry but me that way I know there is no cross contaminations.  

To: AFELLOWSUFFERER......I actually started taking a probiotic called Acidophilus.  Each pill has 1 Billion good bacteria in it.  My daughter and I have started feeling better.  The worms are deficating inside of you and can cause you to feel ill.  You can get Acidophilus at walmart at the herbal vitamins for anyone who is interested.  I also started taking a melatonin that you can get there as well.  I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems to calm them down somewhat and I can get a few hours good night sleep.

To everyone in this forum please keep in touch.  thanks

I came because I can't get rid of the pinworm, I also have end stage Lyme and it is like the invasion of the body snatchers!!
Grayam you mentioned you suspect a lack of digestiv eenyzymes might be the problem. I know that a lack of hydrocloric acid will cause candida albican so I did a search and sure enough a lack of HCI wll cause parasite and worms to grow.
You can buy this over the counter and just experiment with the dose. I did when I was first tested then kept forgetting to take it- Lyme brain - but sure won't now. Thanks for the memory jog and good luck
and strict diet.  
I did more reseach on the pinworm eggs and found we need to add HCI and digestive enyzmes to kill the parasites and eggs in the digesstive tract. Plus a diet of absolutly no carbs exept from vegatables. I had read where grains and some carbs are fine but apparently not- only from vegatables. So, it would be a diet of meat and veggies. Sure worth a try. And thanks you to everyone here for the information

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem