chronic diarrhea after gall bladder removal

I had my gall bladder removed about 10 years ago and have had chronic diarrhea ever since.  Every doctor I have consulted about this problem has glossed over the gall bladder connection and give a generic reply of IBS, ask if I drink coffee, etc.  I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and part of the preparation was to take Miralax the week prior.  I was dreading it, but found that it had the opposite effect.  I didn't poop for 3 days.  I told the gastroenterologist about this reaction before my procedure, and he said he had never head of that happening.  I saw him today for a follow-up -- didn't have any polyps this time, I had some minor irritation in my stomach, and all biopsies and test for gluten allergy were normal.  He set up an appointment for me to have a breathalizer type test that measures bacteria in your gut.  I again brought up the gall bladder connection and he shrugged it off.  

I came home and started doing an on-line search and was shocked to find the number of posts from people who have the exact same problem that I have since having their gall bladder removed.  Having to plan your life around frequent and urgent trips to the bathroom, not going anywhere unless I know where a public restroom is, not eating before going out, avoiding restaurants entirely.  Evidently there is a condition called dumping syndrome that some people develop.  Your gall bladder stores bile until it is needed, but without a gall bladder, bile is dumped into your stomach after eating.  Makes sense to me.  Evidently certain medications and Fiber supplements soaks up bile and help with this problem.  

Now I'm not sure if I should bother with the breathalizer test at all.  I want to yell at my gastroenterologist!

This discussion is related to Bathroom problems since Gall Bladder removal..
Hi, understand your predicament. Post surgery there could be diarrhea and fatty food intolerance as the bile is secreted directly into the intestines. This could settle with time. To avoid this try to take plenty of high fiber diet and cut down on fatty food.
In general avoid all food high in fat and cholesterol. Also avoid all food high in calories and include plenty of high fiber diet. Avoid all fried food, fatty red meat, whole milk dairy products and highly processed food. Include plenty of fresh fruits, high fiber vegetables, whole grains, lean meat and low fat dairy products.
And talk with your doctor about bile acid sequestrants. The bile acid sequestrants are a group of resins used to bind certain components of bile in the gastrointestinal tract and so prevent the irritation. And this should settle with time. Try this and take care.

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem