Gastroenterology Community

diverticulitis

Have had bouts of leftsided pain for 3 years (this was preceeded by 10 years of irritable bowel following a nasty food poisoning infection). After a colonoscopy I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease. The bouts of infection were only happening about once a year with more mild discomfort at times inbetween. Unfortunately, in the first 5 months of this year I had 4 bouts and am concerned the problem is getting worse- it is interfering more now with my everyday life. I am only 40 , so young for this disease and have eaten a high fibre vegetarian diet so really shouldn't, according to text books, have this problem. Can you offer any advise on how to minimise bouts of infection and does this condition inevitably deteriorate? Is surgery something that should be considered or is that really only as a last resort?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem