fatty liver and chronic pancreatitis

I saw a post of a case similar to mine where the liver was affected as well as the pancreas with wieght gain instead of loss on a low fat diet.  Im wondering what causes that especially in pancreatitis?  I loss alot of weight a year ago, was real sick with abnormal bruising and weakness, falling down, ect, this was before pancreas started acting up again, prior to that I had only one acute episode of pancreatitis.  Now its been basically non-stop, confirmed by mri, that it is chronic pancreatitis, and fatty liver.  Im being sent to a pain specialist for the pain, and hoping he can offer relief, because Ive been recieving very little help from my doctor with that.  Im 5'5", used to be about 138lbs, and now am 162, with gain of 10lbs a month on a low fat diet, no meat, no bread, soft food.  I dont understand except unless wieght gain is from thyroid going wrong, im hypothyroid.  I just got diagnosed chronic pancreatitis and dont know what my options will be for treatment, so Im also looking for answers on what worked and what didnt, also for meds what helps the pain?  Thanks in advance for your input.

This discussion is related to Connection Between Chronic Pancreatitis/Idiopathic and Liver Disease.
Hi there!

Weight loss is seen in pancreatitis since it affects both the exocrine and endocrine function of the organ causing malabsorption of fats and proteins. Weight gain is an uncommon scenario but may be seen due to the action of stress hormones which may further be complexed with hypothyroidism in your case. I would suggest considering an evaluation by a gastroenterologist and an endocrinologist for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks for your response, that is what Im going to do, my doc also suggested the same.  It must be thyroid  causing weight gain.  I am looking into the transplant for islet cells with pancreatectomy, as I am learning that chronic pancreatitis is not cureable, but  I dont know if that is a very successful outcome for many.  I would be interested in yours, and others thoughts on that. Thanks
I have the same issue lost tons of weight being so sick now I can't stop gaining. I watch my diet and exercise been through many blood tests for fatty liver ext and nothing. Help always have had a weight issue
I am having the exact problem. I lost a ton of weight when I was first diagnosed. Now without my eating habits changing and staying away from sugar, my weight is piling on. I also am Diabetic & have Hypothyroid and Hypoglycemia.