Gastroenterology Community

foul smelling flatulence all time

This discussion is related to Uncontrollable gas - foul smelling.

Hello everybody,

I have just encountered this site and felt little bit confident after knowing that I am not alone, and people are on way to their solutions. I hope I will solve my problem too.

I am 27, male, software engineer, Germany. I am having this problem for around one and half years and still I did not find any solution.

I release gas all the time, I don't smell it but all people around me hold their noses, scratch their face.  So it is obvious to me that the gas I release smells. Not only that, my breath also stinks. regardless of how good I brush and how long I brush, my breath stinks. So people are thinking that I am a nasty guy who do not brush and fart always.

I was emotionally forced to leave my job because of this problem, because whenever somebody comes to our office room, they complain that it smells like sewage and my colleagues stare at me suggesting that I am the reason. My colleagues discuss internally that I am the reason for the company losses because clients are not showing interest to come to our office.

I left my job and went to different doctors, they all hear to me, they don't consider it serious, they do only some routine tests like blood test and ultra scan. They will find nothing negative in the tests and come to a conclusion that it is infection caused by bacteria and give some antibiotics. But none of them helped me. Even in colonoscopy, nothing negative showed up. I took activated charcoal pills too, it did not help. I have used flat-d underwear, it did not stop my foul smell. doctors checked my anus through finger and told me that there is no damage near the anus.

I even went to homeopathy doctor, she told me it could be bacterial infection and gave some medicines but they too did not help me.

symptoms and observations:

I feel that I release more gas when I sit.
I have some sort of mild burning sensation near my left chest after eating.
I release foul smelling gas whether I eat or starve.
I have wetness near my anal region.
My breath also smells bad.

tests done /results
Blood test                            :  no problem found
Ultra scan(routine abdomen)   : no problem found
Colonoscopy                        : no problem found

I don't know what to do now. I got a job in USA now, planning to go to USA in 2 months and desperately want to find a solution to my problem before going to USA.

Can anybody throw some light on my problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

I hope we all will find some solution to this life ruining problem.

If you haven't been checked for H. pylori, make sure you do so. In addition, considering adding some decent probiotics to your diet every day. They're the 'decent' bacteria that should be in your GI tract but may not be due to illness or medications. I'm not sure what brands you have in your country, but if you can get something like Culturelle, it may be of help.
Hello flatguy,

I have been living with the exact same problem for almost 5 years now. I have gotten every type of test done...2 colonoscopies, 2 endoscopies, h-pylori test, all the tests are negative and the doctors just don't seem to understand the problem.

I am now going to try the candida tests to see if I have candida. I will also give the probiotics a try. I will post any updates from trying that.

Some of my other symptons are a mid back pain (constant) but its worse when I am extra gassy.

Also, sometimes (actually right now) I get this very cold sensation under my left rib cage. It is a very strange feeling, anyone know what that could be?

I wish you all the best in coming to the states flatguy.

It is a real pain living like this but hopefully all of us can get thru this.
I'm just wondering what color your stools are.  Check to see is they are a light color as that could be your liver or Hepatitis too I believe.  I have the same problem with the gas but it seems it comes and goes on me. This time I think that it is staying a little to long.  I just had a LFT (liver function test, blood test) done and I am waiting to hear.  How nerve wracking this all is.
You might have your gallbladder checked. I know gas can be caused by foods that aren't digested properly. You should get some digestive enzymes and see if they help, along with the probiotics.
Terribly sorry to hear about your problem. You should be evaluated for a malabsorption disorder like celiac sprue or lactose intolerance. There are tests for these that your doctor should be able to perform. If malabsorption is your problem then dietary changes will likely get things under control.
have you been to dentist
i had bad breath for 12 months same as you brushed teeth loads of times and minutes later breath would stink
i went to dentist he suggested brush teeth and tonge and a good mouthwash and 3 days later it was clear also went back and had teeth cleaned
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem