Gastroenterology Community

gallbladder clips

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopicly in 2000. I have always had a bulge in my upper right side taht will hurt every so often. When I back to the surgeon about a year later he sid it was because I was obese. I have recently had a CT of my abdomen and when another doctor was explaining the results he said the clips were visible from my gallbladder surgery. Is it normal for the clips to still be there and could they be causing my pain.
Having one or two clips left in that area after the surgery is fairly standard. They're there to close off the cystic duct at it's entry to the common bile duct. They typically get covered with connective tissue after the surgery and pose no problems.
can you have MRI done having those clips inside?
I have experienced swelling, localized fever, pain, intermittent swelling, several hospital stays related to sudden pain in the area of the gall bladder, since the removal  about 8 years ago. I have also experienced 1 case of pancreatitis 1 year after the surgery.

I believe these clips may get infected from time to time, limiting my workout. It has begun to cause changes from my water aerobic workout due to sensitivity in the gall bladder area while working out in the water. I also was not informed of there exisitance and although discovered by  a physician, never considered as the source of recurrent infections and illness.

How often is it recommended that these clips be removed and what are the general complications. I am diabetic and the constant inflamation has further comprimised my diabetes.

Hi. I also am having pain from clips. When ever so slight pressure is placed on hard area aka "clips" or bending or moving certain ways or God forbid sleeping on my right side HURTS!!! I'm also haing upper right side back pain. I was unaware at first what these "hard" spots were and why they were hurting me. About the 3rd week after surgery...I ened up in the emergency room with the worst pain I've ever endured! I've been through labor and other surgeries so it wasn't a case that I'm intolerant of pain. I was not informed that thse clips were going to be used. Too bad for I would have done the research and discovered all these other people in this nightmare! I certainly would have demanded good old stiches....what ever happen to those?? All thses folks, including myself can't be mistaken about the same symptoms regarding pain. Has any doctor under gone this proceedure with clips? I hope soon that the medial world stops using this proceedure and stop inflicting pain. At this time, I want them removed so that I may get back to my life! Wendylk7 @ hotmail
I am having the exact same issue, I want the clips removed, and I can’t find a surgeon willing to do the surgery. I am desperate, I want them out, I live in pain 24/7, and I’ve had very test done to rule out all causes.
Finally a neurologist told me it had to be the clips, the most honest Dr I found. Now I can’t find a surgeon willing to,remove,them.
I have personally removed 3500 gallbladders using titanium clips to secure the cystic duct and artery without any clip related problems. In the US, there have been between 500,000 and 700,000 gallbladders removed annually for the past 22 years laparoscopically using titanium clips. I can find less than 50 patients described in the literature with clip related problems such as migration into a duct. I am confused as to what you are describing when you comment about a "hard area". These clips are located between 3 and 6 inches below the skin surface making it impossible to feel them from the surface. Can you describe what it is that you are blaming on the clips more accurately?
hi Doctor, can you have an MRI done having those clips inside?
How can I find a surgeon willing to remove the clips?
in the case of a proven titanium allergy...is it possible for these clips to be  removed surgically 4 to 5 years after surgery? is this ever done?
You have me interested. I have never heard of a titanium allergy. Nickle is the metal that has the highest incidence of reactions. Have you actually been shown to have a titanium allergy? The other metal that can be problematic is the copper in copper clad bullets.

The short answer is yes. I had a case where another surgeon had caught a nerve root in a few clips while doing a colon resection. I had to remove the clips which finally relieved her pain. I also had a patient who had had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy elsewhere and developed an aneurysm of the cystic artery where the clip was placed. I had to remove the clip and ligate  the vessel.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem