Gastroenterology Community

left upper quadrant pain /spleen pain???

For the last year or so  i have been getting a very dull pain in my left side .. initially its frontal under my last 3 ribs, also it goes along my side effecting the same ribs..
ive had it for a year however its not constant it comes every couple of months or so and will last at least a week..
i mainly have it when im lying down in bed,
the pain can be relieved a bit when i lie on that side, it can also be relieved by stretching
it feels like muscle spasms, however there is no bowel symptoms, or any other symptoms realistically .
its very annoying and quite worrying
anyone have any ideas or the same problem ???
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include cholecystitis, gall stones, gastritis, causes related to the respiratory tract such as pleuritis, neuro-muscular causes etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem