medication lodged in the colon

I just had a cat scan done for severe lower adominal pain. The cat scan showed I had medication in my colon that was not digested is this dangerous and what does it mean. The doctor seemed at a loss and said she has never seen this before.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
okay, this might sound odd...I have seen this in an episode of house. it is rare, but it happens. It looks like the meds were not washed down with enough water, but instead got sticky and got stuck there. It should not be dangerous, a good flush should either completely dissolve the tablets or flush them out, depending on where it is stuck. Think of it as if a child has swallowed a key. It can come out, but sometimes it is lodged and then it hurts. I would suggest a good laxative, like PEG, with the doctors blessing and monitoring. If that doesnt help, a laprascopy might be needed.
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Are you sure it was in your colon (large intestine) not somewhere else like your stomach?  How did they know it was a pill and not something else?
Helpful - 0
yes it is in the colon had a cat scan and it showed the pills in the colon
Helpful - 0
The doctor seemed alittle lost and said she has never seen that before just wanted to make sure it isnt dangerous
Helpful - 0
Was it many pills all lumped together creating a sort of partial blockage?
Helpful - 0
Okay, so I asked a doctor about this and she said it is incredibly common to see this on a CT scan (this is assuming it is just one pill in your colon).  She had no idea why your doctor said she had never seen this before and I believe what sechmeth is talking about is a different thing.  This does not mean that you didn't absorb the pill, it just means that you absorbed the medicine part of the pill and the outside (ex. the gelatin coating of the pill) doesn't get digested, which is normal.
Helpful - 0
Thank you everyone for your answers
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem