Gastroenterology Community

no burping / gurgling in throat

I am 19 years old, female, healthy, normal eating habits, etc, but I do not burp. I've tried drinking soda, swallowing air, etc, and it just makes me feel uncomfortable but doesn't make me burp. Instead, my throat gurgles. The best way to describe the sound is like a stomach growling, only in the throat. It's incredibly embarrassing and I can't prevent it from happening. It tends to happen a lot after I drink juice or soda, but also sometimes after meals where I only drank water. Along with the gurgle I feel some light pressure in my lower throat, near my collarbone, like there's air trying to get out (no pain). The pressure is momentarily relieved after I "gurgle", but then it comes back and I need to "gurgle" again.

I have met one or two other people who experience the same thing, including my sister, and seen other complaints online, but have found no explanation for why this happens, or how to prevent it. Any help?

I very rarely throw up either (only once in the past 8 years), I don't know if that's connected at all but I thought I should mention it.
I am experiencing the same exact thing as you, with additional symptoms.  Doctors cannot figure out what it is, my throat always croaks, as if air is trying to escape, chugging a hot 7-up used to make me belch and relieve the symptom, but it's not working anymore.  While I was at the ER, I drank a small cup of water, just sitting there, my throat started croaking (gurgling), the ER doc was baffled.

I also have an enlarged thyroid, which may be trapping air in my throat.      

But I know exactly how you feel, and hope we both get an answer and some comfort.  Sorry, I didn't have an answer for you.      
I experience the exact same thing. My throat also croaks, with the slight amount of pressure in the bottom. It will happen multiple times in a short amount of time. It is definitely imbarrasing. My family and boyfriend sometimes laugh about it, but usually just ignore it as they have gotten used to it. Strangers, however, look at me quite funny. I, also, have no answer... but if you find one, PLEASE share on here:)
I have been diagnosed with LPR. I also have gurgling noises and the feeling of something stuck in my throat, like mucus.  I have taken several prescribed medicines from the ENT, nothing helps.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!
You are the first one I've seen who has the same symptoms as me.  I've had all kinds of tests (going for a CT scan next week) and they can't find anything wrong. I did have a thyroid nodule that was removed but didn't help the lump feeling.   I also have the gurgling.   I have post nasal drip and was put on Zyrtec which seemed to help some with the lump in the throat thing but now I feel like I'm swallowing air all the time.  I wonder if the Zyrtec dried out the sinuses so now I don't have to swallow as much and am not used to it yet.  Since the Zyrtec I've also stopped clearing my throat all the time.  
I am a 16 years old male and i have experienced terribly annoying throat gurgling sounds in my throat after i've eaten or drunk anything for a while. These sounds tend to disappear if i lie on my back, but that is the only way i know how to suppress the gurgling (and lying on your back after eaing isn't going to help digestion for starters). I also experience bloating and the sensation of there being something stuck in my throat or behind my breastbone after eating or drinking. Any suggestions would be extremely welcome, especially for the throat gurgling, which is extremely embarrasing and ruins my concentration.
I have EXACTLY the same thing.  It does help me to lay down, but it is very embarrassing.  My boyfriend makes fun of me all the time, which doesn't really bother me.  What really irritates me is that I like to drink beer (socially) and if I have more than one or two, the burping lasts all night.  It seems especially bad with beer, but I don't really drink soda.  I have never asked a doctor, but I am working on trying to figure this out.  I've had it my whole life and there's only been one other person I know who has this.  Also like you, I don't throw up often, and I try to keep it that way (once in the past 11 years).
DOES THIS NOISE WAKE ANYONE AT NIGHT AND CAN YOU HERE IT WHEN YOU WALK. I HAD A 24 HOUR PH TEST AND DOC SAYS IT'S NOT ACID I HAVE HAD THIS NOW FOR 2 YRS BURPS DON'T HELP AT ALL    JUST LOOKING FOR ANSWERS
I just started noticeing it in the middle of the nite...when im laying flat after a few gulps of water...a delayed....gurgle...
i never noticed it during the day...what is IT??
Same problem. I have had it for a while. It tends to start after drinking, but sometimes after a meal. It will usually last for a couple of hours. I have also never been able to burp. If I lay on my back, it will go away for the most part. What is REALLY strange is that if I lay on my left side, it continues but if I switch to my right, it goes away. I also drink a lot of milk so I am not sure if that has something to do with it.

This is really embarrassing and would love to have a diagnosis for it!
Same here, same symtoms
Ive been through all sorts of tests as well
Im on Nexium for Reflux, but i dont actually thing i have reflux after reading these posts, im the one who implied i had it
And it doesnt actually stop the croaking and gurgling...

I also had a Urea Breath test and was positive to H. pylori which has now been treated but could be a cause

Lets hope someone finds a diagnosis
Another update,

The Doc sent me for a Barium Swallow to check for a pharingeal pouch which could be causing the problem, they didnt find one, but they did find a mucosal protubence, whatever that means.

Back to the Doc tommorow to find out what that is...

I started to get these symptons after a cold, this is my 4th month with these symptoms..gurgling/croaking noise coming up from the mid chest area, feeling like something is stuck in my throat, slightly to the right side of throat more so than the left, at first I had slight heartburn in the first month of the symptoms, but now just all the other symptoms.  I've taken coffee right out of my diet, and I'm trying nexium as well, but don't think I really have reflux, it's just really weird, I think it's hard to not think about it, because you're constantly wishing it will go away!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem