pain under ribcage on right side

Hello, I am a 27 years old woman.  I have had problems with bloody stools in the past.  In 1999 I had a sigmoidoscopy and this came back just fine.  In 2006 I had a colonoscopy and all was well with this procedure.  Over the past 5 years I have had three children. 12.5 lbs, 9lbs, and 11.5lbs. During the last pregnancy I had very bad reflux and was given Prilosec which didn't help much.   In March I had my Gallbladder removed.  I felt great afterwards.  I did have some bloody stools about 2 weeks after the surgery.  It has been almost 3 months since I had my Gallbladder out.
For the past 1.5 weeks I have been having frequent lose stools, nausea, dizziness, and increased reflux. My intire upq is sore to the touch.  The pain under my rib cage is pretty much a constant pain that feels like there is something stuck.
  I visited with my family doc on Fri and he seemed to think it could be an ulcer.  He gave me some Nexium.  This doesn't really help.  The acid isn't as strong as before...but I still have reflux coming up into my mouth.  I have had a difficult time eating much the last week besides toast.  I meet with a GI specialist tomorrow.  I am just curious as to what he will say.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have a breath test for H. pylori infection of stomach. Symptoms of H. pylori are burning stomach, heartburn (acidic reflux), burping, early satiety...
Helpful - 0
I did speak with my family doc today and he said my wbc is a little high.  Could that mean infection?  With the H.pylori is your wbc elevated?
Helpful - 0
WBC in H. pylori is usually not elevated, or at least this is not typically.

H. pylori: burping, heartburn, upper abdominal bloating, burning stomach (below the tip of the breastbone), nausea, EARLY SATIETY. If it does not causes ulcer, then there is no blood in stool; in ulcer, blood would be black. Test for H. pylori: breath test.

Gallbladder: cramping pain in upper RIGHT quadrant, just below the rib cage, usually within an hour after a FATTY meal. Pain often radiates into upper right back or shoulder. WBC can be elevated and some liver enzymes like GGT are elevated. No blood in stool. First investigation: ultrasound.

Small intesinal or colonic inflammation (e.g. Crohn's disease): mucus or blood in stool, diarrhea, nausea, pain in lower abdomen, often on the right side. Elevated WBC. Diagnosis: Colonoscopy.

Elevated WBC is a sign of inflammation anywhere in the body. So consider other symptoms you have, to help you with diagnosis. Diziness is probably from dehydration, you should drink enough to replace lost fluid from diarrhea.
Helpful - 0
The GI thinks I have a stone stuck in my duct.  I have to go for an MRI on Saturday...can't wait for that...lol
Helpful - 0
If the pain is on the right side, and if your stools float (from unabsirbed fat), this speaks for blockage in the bile duct.

Helpful - 0
I am still having discomfort under my ribcage.  I did not have the MRCP done today because I have found out that I am pregnant.  I had a tubal ligation in late Jan 08'.  I took 3 home preg. test yesterday because I was 7 days late and wanted to make sure before I went for the test.  All 3 test were positive.  I went to the doc and the blood test was positive too.  The doc sent me for an Ultra Sound.  I had and internal and external, but there was nothing found.  My last period was May 15. 08.  How possible is it that it is just too soon to see anything v.s. having a tubal pregnancy or something else weird wrong?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem