Gastroenterology Community

pancreatitis in pregnancy

sir ,
      a 26 yr old ante natal (G2 P2 L1) was admitted with term for stomach pain nausea,vomiting on the day of admission.her pain was relieved only by pethidine inj.the very same day she delivered a live male baby.through normal vaginal delivery,baby is fine.this is her third day of admission.still she complains of epigastric pain.
   PRE DELIVERY    investigastion done showed increased CRP,SERUM AMYLASE AND LIPASE,TRIGLYCERIDES.ULTRA SOUND TAKEN REVEALED HYPER ECHOEIC PANCREAS WITH SWOLLEN HEAD BODY AND TAIL.
            NOW REPEAT INVESTIGATION DONE revealed all those values coming down but repeat ultrasound  was with the same findings.

MY QUESTIONS ARE
                                                  1.IS PREGNANCY AND PANCREATITIS RELATED SIMILAR TO SOME THING LIKE HELLP SYNDROME.
                                                   2.WHAT WAS THE UNDERLYING CAUSE FOR THIS LADY TO GET PANCREATITIS
                                                   3.WILL THIS PANCREATITIS REMAIN SILENT WITH NO CHANGES IN ULTRASOUND WHEN SHE WAS 5 MTHS PREGNANT.
                                                    4.IS THERE ANY PRE DISPOSING FACTORS / RISK FACTORS
                                                     5.WHAT IS THE PROGNOSIS OF THIS PATIENT

This discussion is related to Pancreatitis in Pregnancy.
I'm not exactly sure of the question, but I know that the TRIG's in a person's cholesterol triple during pregnancy.  Do you know what this woman's cholesterol break down was prior to pregnancy?  The tripling of triglicerides potentially could have been hard on the pancreas since there is so much more cholesterol in the blood.

I hope this helps - good luck!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem