Gastroenterology Community

post cholecystectomy pain

I had my gallbladder removed about two years ago.  Lots of stones.  Recovered well.  A year ago I started to have low level RUQ pain.  Occasional mild nausea.  Went back to my surgeon and had blood work.  Liver functions were normal.  Calcium level high (?).  I've lost a small amount of weight, which I presume is from lack of normal appetite.  I feel full under my ribs.  Burps and hiccups.  

I have been taking 40mg Nexium for reoccurring reflux...which after three weeks is better.  But pain in upper abdomen is pretty constant now.

A week ago I had one bout of completely black diarrhea.  I took metamucil for a few days and had one well formed partially black stool.  Now stools are back to what seems to be a normal dark brown.

My question.  The surgeon suggested an  ercp.  I'm wondering if it's necessary.  Is there something less invasive?
You may want to discuss an MRCP with your doc. It will only give you a 'view' and may not give you any answers, but it's a start. If all else fails, an ERCP may be the only way to go. If an ERCP is done, please make sure it with done WITH manometry. If done with manometry, they can measure the pressures in the sphincter and duct, and if they are found to be elevated a sphincterotomy can be done. It shouldn't be done if the pressures aren't raised, so please also make sure that the doc knows that you understand the importance - meanwhile read up on SOD (sphincter of Oddi dysfunction) and the use of manometry. Also talk to the doc about stenting after the ERCP. It can reduce the chances of post-ERCP pancreatitis.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem